Quote:
Belenos - Chemins de Souffrance
Celtic Black Metal
Quoted: 83 / 100

Click here to see the review.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:24 pm 
MetalReviews Staff

wow this sounds fucking awesome... checking their sample from this one on their website! Just made it to the top of my to-buy list.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 11:24 pm 
Einherjar

The new album is good, but I find more interesting Spicilege.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 1:59 pm 
Ist Krieg

This band makes the best interludes ever, sadly not so much in the black metal department. It's a good listen but once you heard the interludes enough there's no playback value really.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 3:25 pm 
Metal King

Kathaarian wrote:
This band makes the best interludes ever, sadly not so much in the black metal department. It's a good listen but once you heard the interludes enough there's no playback value really.

There aren't interludes on Chemins de Souffrance. Anyway, this is a great record, dense, atmospheric, epic and in places melodic (some exquisite lead work here and there), much better than Chants de Bataille which was somewhat boring to me. Definitely my favourite black metal album of 2007.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 3:43 pm 
Ist Krieg

OldSchool wrote:
Kathaarian wrote:

There aren't interludes on Chemins de Souffrance. Anyway, this is a great record, dense, atmospheric, epic and in places melodic (some exquisite lead work here and there), much better than Chants de Bataille which was somewhat boring to me. Definitely my favourite black metal album of 2007.

No interludes? Well then I don't see why I should listen to this. Chants de Battalie was, like I said, only good with the interludes but bad in black metal. I'm not convinced how this band can come up with the best black metal record of 2007, with releases of DsO and Ban.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 8:13 pm 
Metal King

Kathaarian wrote:
OldSchool wrote:
Kathaarian wrote:

No interludes? Well then I don't see why I should listen to this. Chants de Battalie was, like I said, only good with the interludes but bad in black metal. I'm not convinced how this band can come up with the best black metal record of 2007, with releases of DsO and Ban.

I didn't say it's the best, just my favorite. New DsO may be a superior album, but for some reason I don't feel the need to listen to it too much. I guess I respect it but don't really love it, like I do with SMR,C. When it comes to 2007 black albums, I discovered that most of the time I'd rather play new Belenos, Darkestrah or Anaal Nathrakh than Fas. Maybe it's because that album is so bleak it's hard to sit through it too often.

If Ban means Blut Aus Nord, I wasn't very impressed with their latest.

Regardless, Belenos is a top tier band, don't judge them from Chants de Bataille alone, better listen to Spicilège or this new one.