Metal Reviews

Newest and Best Metal Reviews!
FAQ :: Search :: Members :: Groups :: Register
Login
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:22 pm

Post subject: Cocteau Twins!
PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:15 pm 
Svartalfar

Not sure if there's any Cocteau Twins fans here, but does anyone know of any similar bands? I've been unable to find any who share the same mystic and beauty; whether it's the exotic darkwave of Treasure, or dreamy pop peppered with shoegaze like Victorialand through Heaven or Las Vegas.

Post subject: Re: Cocteau Twins!
PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 10:03 am 
Karma Whore

I've just become a fan of them recently after being amazed by the dreamy vocals of The Moon and the melodies. I've picked up four of their albums but my favorite so far are Victorialand and The Moon and the melodies, while people consider Heaven or Las Vegas their best its a good album but I didn't recall much of it after I spun it. The lady's vocals are very unique. Slowdive are kind of similar to them, but they've got nowhere near the ability to create the dreamlike atmosphere of Cocteau Twins

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 2:29 pm 
MetalReviews Staff

One of those bands I've heard but really need to hear again, will add them to my daytime to-hear list...

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 7:04 pm 
Svartalfar

Nickelback666 wrote:
I've just become a fan of them recently after being amazed by the dreamy vocals of The Moon and the melodies. I've picked up four of their albums but my favorite so far are Victorialand and The Moon and the melodies, while people consider Heaven or Las Vegas their best its a good album but I didn't recall much of it after I spun it. The lady's vocals are very unique. Slowdive are kind of similar to them, but they've got nowhere near the ability to create the dreamlike atmosphere of Cocteau Twins

Ah, so you like their gentler side?

I would give Heaven and Las Vegas a few more spins. The first five songs are all excellent, though it kinda takes a dip in quality until the last track, which sounds surprisingly epic for Cocteau Twins. That's not to say the other songs are mediocre by any means.

I have Slowdive's Souvlaki, and you're right about them. While it does induce a dreamy atmosphere, it doesn't feel as peppy or fantastical.

Zadok wrote:
One of those bands I've heard but really need to hear again, will add them to my daytime to-hear list...

You'll be glad you did, man.