Metal Reviews

Newest and Best Metal Reviews!
FAQ :: Search :: Members :: Groups :: Register
Login
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:00 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2000 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 100  Next   
 Post subject: Mixed Martial Arts... Any Fans?
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 12:31 am 
Einherjar

Just curious if there were any MMA fans here... New or old. Any favorite fighters/fights? Dream matches? Whatever.

I'm a huge GSP, Fedor, Shogun, Dan Henderson, Randy Couture, and numerous other fighters fans... Can't wait for the upcoming bout between Anderson Silva and Hendo.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 2:35 am 
Einherjar

I've watched some UFC. It's cool, but I wouldn't say that I'm a fan.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 4:38 am 
Metal Fighter

Chuck Lidell whooping Vanderlay Silva was very rewarding.

Randy Couture is a monster. I like rampage Jackson though, my favorite.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 6:58 am 
The Commish

Im a huge UFC fan, I get the pay per view every month. And last month's was awesome. And yes GSP is one of the best fighters, he destroyed Matt Hughes.

And it's Wanderlay

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 7:05 am 
Metal Fighter

It's pronounced Vanderlay though. Sorry, forgot.

GSP is amazing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 7:08 am 
The Commish

ElTipo wrote:
It's pronounced Vanderlay though. Sorry, forgot.

GSP is amazing.

Haha don't worry about, I was just trying to point out your flaws. no harm done? And yes GSP is most definitely amazing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 9:39 am 
Metal King

MMA is bigger than the UFC, folks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 2:42 pm 
MetalReviews Staff

Afro Lint wrote:

Yes, but since Pride was bought out by UFC, it is the only game in town for the casual US fan. All the rest (King of the Cage, K1, etc) are PPV I think.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 7:09 pm 
Karma Whore

Afro Lint wrote:

UFC is MMA :rolleyes:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 9:37 pm 
Karma Whore

Afro Lint wrote:

Pride is gone, and crap like Bodog, EliteXC, the IFL, and WEC are in no way shape or form competition for the UFC. I can't even get through an entire IFL broadcast, that shit is awful.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 10:26 pm 
MetalReviews Staff

Eternal Idol wrote:
Afro Lint wrote:

Pride is gone, and crap like Bodog, EliteXC, the IFL, and WEC are in no way shape or form competition for the UFC. I can't even get through an entire IFL broadcast, that shit is awful.

Ahh, that's the name. I watched an IFL broadcast the other day, and I couldn't remember the name when I posted earlier. A shitty excuse for MMA indeed. Pride was the only non-PPV show besides UFC that I've ever seen that didn't completely suck.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 3:46 am 
Einherjar

ElTipo wrote:

That fight sucked ass. Wandy should have went in brutal and aggressive. I don't know what he's doing but since his fight with Cro Cop he's been very timid. Cost him the fight. He could have got Chuck in close, clinched, and kneed him out easily.

Also the other org's may not be COMPETITION, but there is a lot of other top talent in other organizations than UFC.

Also I'm bitter that Randy left, but Dana wasn't treating him with the respect he deserved... Plus there was no Randy/Fedor, which definitely needs to happen.

Anyway... I'm a huge fan, skipping the next UFC though. Who the fuck cares about BJ Penn?

Also GSP is amazing when he doesn't get hit... When he gets hit it's like game over, like a light tap in the back of the head from Matt Serra leading to TKO... Jesus. GSP better beat the living shit out of Serra in their rematch.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 5:29 am 
Metal King

Eternal Idol wrote:
Afro Lint wrote:

True. I was just pointing out that the sport is MMA, not UFC. I know a bunch of people that have no idea that this is a sport outside the UFC.

Last edited by Afro Lint on Fri Jan 11, 2008 11:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 5:32 am 
Metal King

The Evil Dead wrote:
ElTipo wrote:

That fight sucked ass.

What? Are you nuts? You can't ask for anything more than a knockout in a fight like that. They went toe-to-toe for 15 minutes! That was a great fight!

I take it you wanted Silva to win, hence the fight sucked. :rolleyes:

And as for the Randy Couture issue, Dana and the other owners schooled Couture and proved that he was a lying bitch. He disgraced himself and his fans with his bullshit. And who the fuck cares about BJ Penn? MMA fans, which apparently you are not. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 5:43 am 
Metal King

Adam wrote:
Eternal Idol wrote:
Afro Lint wrote:

Ahh, that's the name. I watched an IFL broadcast the other day, and I couldn't remember the name when I posted earlier. A shitty excuse for MMA indeed. Pride was the only non-PPV show besides UFC that I've ever seen that didn't completely suck.

The EliteXC shows are usually pretty good. That big one they had on PPV was terrible, though. The free shows on Showtime have been really good. The announcers are pretty shitty, but it's a good organization, I think. Plus Gina Carano fights in EliteXC, and she's a badass...and hot!

And some clips of her kicking ass (this is no female boxing slapfest):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMmSME9EJYc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RhwnyeOwu-w

Tough chick.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 6:27 am 
Metal Fighter

Wanderlay was timid, and that's the only thing that I didn't like about he fight. He was head strong though. Lidell landed a few punches that would have easily knocked out other competitors.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 4:33 pm 
Karma Whore

Afro Lint wrote:
Adam wrote:
Eternal Idol wrote:
Afro Lint wrote:

The EliteXC shows are usually pretty good. That big one they had on PPV was terrible, though. The free shows on Showtime have been really good. The announcers are pretty shitty, but it's a good organization, I think. Plus Gina Carano fights in EliteXC, and she's a badass...and hot!

And some clips of her kicking ass (this is no female boxing slapfest):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMmSME9EJYc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RhwnyeOwu-w

Tough chick.

She's now "Crush" on the new American Gladiators show.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 5:58 pm 
Einherjar

While I wanted Wandy to win keep in mind I've been an MMA enthusiast for about 6 years now. Ever since I rented UFC 1 back when I worked at a video store I got hooked on everything MMA and try to watch as much of it as possible, including the smaller shows.

I thought the fight was just lame. While they went " toe to toe " neither fighter showed any ferocity or the gall to go for it. Wandy could have brought Chuck in as he was for awhile to the cage, land the one two's that he was, clinched up, and landed knees. Wandy also had Chuck hurt for a moment but let him recover.

That aside, Chuck got a takedown? Are you kidding me? Even more silly was Chuck had Wandy hurt as well but didn't go for blood has he has in the past in many of his victories.

That goes to show you how cautious these two fighters were being. Neither went for broke or showed off what make them such stars in the first place. Neither of them showed much heart or the determination to really dominate the other and were very timid. SOMEONE needed to be aggressive, and Wandy has lost his last 3 fights due to being timid and not ferocious as he was during his 5 year title reign.

That being said Chuck could have went for it as well. Boring fight, I'm sorry. I'd like to see a rematch where both fighters have intensity.

At least Hughes/GSP and Machida made up for the night... The most recent fight I can think of that kicked hardcore ass was Huerta vs. Guida on the last free Spike show. INSANE fight.

Also, THAT'S why Crush was so hot. lol. Explains everything.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 6:39 pm 
Metal King

UFC is good sometimes but when you get a wrestler you may aswell change channel before the fight even starts. Even the fans hate it when its just on the ground, you can hear them all booing.

K1 all the way, no fucking around there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 11:39 pm 
Metal King

Eternal Idol wrote:
She's now "Crush" on the new American Gladiators show.

:blink:

You shittin' me? :lol:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2000 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 100  Next