Metal Reviews

Newest and Best Metal Reviews!
FAQ :: Search :: Members :: Groups :: Register
Login
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:34 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3130 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 152, 153, 154, 155, 156, 157  Next   
 Post subject: Re: The TV thread.
PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:20 am 
MetalReviews Staff

Yes, either of those scenarios would have been much better.

North From Here wrote:
One thing the show has gotten right has been some excellent casting decisions, and Dillane might be my favorite of all.

It was a good thing that Ned Stark, Tywin Lannister, and Stannis Baratheon all never met on screen, because the sheer combined gravitas of the actors might have generated a black hole.

Absolutely. Actually can't think of a single poor casting decision, outside of the sand snakes...?

Going to have to reread the books I think, only got as far as Mountain/Viper that I remember, years ago.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 8:19 am 
Ist Krieg

Finished the third episode of Rectify and I really like it.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 3:32 am 
Ist Krieg

finished breaking bad

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 6:08 am 
Ist Krieg

Hah, good one noodz.

Anyone watching Wayward Pines by chance? Sort of like Lost meets Twin Peaks--fun ride anyway.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 9:38 am 
MetalReviews Staff

North From Here wrote:
Hah, good one noodz.

Anyone watching Wayward Pines by chance? Sort of like Lost meets Twin Peaks--fun ride anyway.

A couple of episodes in, not bad so far. So much other stuff to catch up on though, Hannibal and the new season of True Detective especially.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 7:49 pm 
Ist Krieg

Plowed through Hannibal and really enjoyed it. Newest season is a little too much like slash fic for Will and Hannibal, but whatever. The fight scenes are so visceral that they really become a highlight of a show with a surprising amount of depth. I love all of the dark humor, the murder scenes are often beautiful in a fucked up way, no clue how NBC gets a way with such violence, but it caught me by surprise.

Didn't love Penny Dreadful's season finale. Somewhat anti-climactic and kinda afraid the show will become stretched by what it is foreshadowing, but perhaps deeper.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 6:09 pm 
Ist Krieg

Gotham is surprisingly good for what it is, a cop drama set in Gotham. A little clunky, but tolerable in the background.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 2:19 am 
Ist Krieg

Started Boardwalk Empire two weeks ago. I kinda enjoy it, even if it is kinda everything you'd expect and a tad paint by numbers. Just finished season 3 which was rather exciting.

Also watched the first three episodes of the Jim Gaffigan show, which is on Nick at Nite (!), I think. Wasn't awful, but very sitcom-y.

Rectify has been a legit slow burn. Hannibal is ending on a high note it seems. Hell on Wheels has opted to be about nothing this season. And the Strain is still just bumbling along in its awkwardness.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 9:11 pm 
Ist Krieg

traptunderice wrote:
Started Boardwalk Empire two weeks ago. I kinda enjoy it, even if it is kinda everything you'd expect and a tad paint by numbers. Just finished season 3 which was rather exciting.

I don't like how much the show diverges from Mafia history (which I love). It seemed like they wanted to tell the story of the Mob's rise through the 20s as a backdrop with this overblown Nucky Thompson (Enoch Johnson) character whose importance was grossly overstated. Either tell the story of Thompson and A.C. or tell the story of the Mob in NYC. The Chicago angle wastes time with Capone (even though the actor is tremendous). The whole point of Chicago is to witness the violence Jonny Torrio witnesses so when he comes to NYC and talks to Luciano it will make sense.

The idea that Nucky Thompson could go to war with Joe Masseria and win was embarrassing. They make Luciano look like a hotheaded idiot at times, and again feed the myth that he depended on Lansky. Gyp Rosetti was a typical HBO caricature villain, just imagine Joffrey Baratheon as an adult Italian mobster!

All that said, the show was enjoyable in places. :lol: Of course Omar was fun in another role, the actor playing Rothstein was tremendous. And at least we got some mafia origins history, which always earns points from me.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 5:41 am 
Ist Krieg

North From Here wrote:
traptunderice wrote:

I don't like how much the show diverges from Mafia history (which I love). It seemed like they wanted to tell the story of the Mob's rise through the 20s as a backdrop with this overblown Nucky Thompson (Enoch Johnson) character whose importance was grossly overstated. Either tell the story of Thompson and A.C. or tell the story of the Mob in NYC. The Chicago angle wastes time with Capone (even though the actor is tremendous). The whole point of Chicago is to witness the violence Jonny Torrio witnesses so when he comes to NYC and talks to Luciano it will make sense.

The idea that Nucky Thompson could go to war with Joe Masseria and win was embarrassing. They make Luciano look like a hotheaded idiot at times, and again feed the myth that he depended on Lansky. Gyp Rosetti was a typical HBO caricature villain, just imagine Joffrey Baratheon as an adult Italian mobster!

All that said, the show was enjoyable in places. :lol: Of course Omar was fun in another role, the actor playing Rothstein was tremendous. And at least we got some mafia origins history, which always earns points from me.

Having not finished the series yet, most of the historical mobsters all seem kinda wasted. Al Capone is decent, and I loved him as Tommy in Snatch. Luciano, Rothstein, and Masseria all seem kinda just awkward foils thus far. I felt like Gyp Rosetti actually gave the show a direction in a way that I appreciated. I'm not dumb, but names circulate in a way that there are some characters whose names I still don't know and that is frustrating. Like I have no idea who he is doing this Florida deal with and the fourth season starting off with Eli's kid in college seems pointless. They have built up this Nucky Thompson character only to take the focus off of him, which is kinda irking me.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 5:47 am 
Einherjar

So, the Icelandic dude that plays Gregor Clegane in Season 4 might actually be a superhuman.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JpUrXJNcS_8

This man probably could crush a human skull with his bare hands. Should have finished him when you had the chance, Oberyn.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 2:40 am 
Ist Krieg

traptunderice wrote:
North From Here wrote:
traptunderice wrote:

Having not finished the series yet, most of the historical mobsters all seem kinda wasted. Al Capone is decent, and I loved him as Tommy in Snatch. Luciano, Rothstein, and Masseria all seem kinda just awkward foils thus far. I felt like Gyp Rosetti actually gave the show a direction in a way that I appreciated. I'm not dumb, but names circulate in a way that there are some characters whose names I still don't know and that is frustrating. Like I have no idea who he is doing this Florida deal with and the fourth season starting off with Eli's kid in college seems pointless. They have built up this Nucky Thompson character only to take the focus off of him, which is kinda irking me.

Yeah, I think that is the core problem with the show. It always tried to be both a Nucky Thompson POV fantasy tale of Atlantic City and also provide a something of a mob history of both NY and Chicago with all those famous people. Would have been better off doing one or the other. The Gyp character was entirely fictional and HBOed, but at least Bobby Cannavale did a nice job with it.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 8:11 am 
MetalReviews Staff

Well True Detective ended disappointingly. Hopefully Fargo series 2 will make up for it when it comes...

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 1:58 am 
Ist Krieg

Goat wrote:
Well True Detective ended disappointingly. Hopefully Fargo series 2 will make up for it when it comes...

Sorry to read that. I really need to catch up on Fargo.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 7:29 pm 
Ist Krieg

Goat wrote:
Hasn't the entire season been disappointing?

Neil Gaiman fans know that FOX aired Lucifer this past week? It was like the Mentalist if the savant was Satan. Not all that impressive.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 9:24 pm 
MetalReviews Staff

Well yeah, but it had a few bright spots. Not anywhere near the first season, though...

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 7:00 am 
Ist Krieg

Goat wrote:
Well yeah, but it had a few bright spots. Not anywhere near the first season, though...

The shoot out at the end of episode 4 was definitely worth watching, thanks for pointing it out to me. The setting, the music, and the leads' one word exclamations were all really well done.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 6:08 pm 
Ist Krieg

Apparently, David Simon's new Show Me a Hero mini series is pretty solid. Also excited for the new Walking Dead series this Sunday.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 10:39 am 
Jeg lever med min foreldre

yes! i want to watch Show Me a Hero too!

finished Sons of Anarchy. was hate-watching it by the end. episodes dragged on for too long, cared very little for Tara/Wendy's drama about the kids, Gemma was a stupid annoying fucking bitch, and every episode the Sons murder an absurd number of people in a small town yet no one seems to think that maybe Charming, California could really use some more aggressive policing.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 12:49 am 
Ist Krieg

Azrael wrote:
finished Sons of Anarchy. was hate-watching it by the end. episodes dragged on for too long, cared very little for Tara/Wendy's drama about the kids, Gemma was a stupid annoying fucking bitch, and every episode the Sons murder an absurd number of people in a small town yet no one seems to think that maybe Charming, California could really use some more aggressive policing.

Haha, I hear you Azrael, impressive of you to finish the whole thing, I stopped after season 5 because I knew I'd only enter hate-watch land for 6 and 7. Gemma is on the short list for most annoying character in TV history.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3130 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 152, 153, 154, 155, 156, 157  Next