Metal Reviews

Newest and Best Metal Reviews!
FAQ :: Search :: Members :: Groups :: Register
Login
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:33 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3329 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 167  Next   
 Post subject: The Officially Unofficial NHL Thread
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 7:32 pm 
The Commish

So the NHL Playoffs start on the 10th. I know there are a few Hockey fans on this site. Who will finish in 8th in the eastern coference? Will Colarado take 8th in the western?

This saturday is a huge game between my team the Toronto Maple Leafs, and the team that all hockey fans from this site seem to like the Montreal Canadiens. if Toronto wins in regulation time, then they take 8th and eliminate Montreal. If Montreal can force OT then they eliminate Toronto. But then whoever wins has to hope for a New York Islanders loss.

GO LEAFS GO!

Post subject: Re: The Officially Unofficial NHL Playoffs Thread
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 7:57 pm 
MetalReviews Staff

DevotedWalnut wrote:
So the NHL Playoffs start on the 10th. I know there are a few Hockey fans on this site. Who will finish in 8th in the eastern coference? Will Colarado take 8th in the western?

This saturday is a huge game between my team the Toronto Maple Leafs, and the team that all hockey fans from this site seem to like the Montreal Canadiens. if Toronto wins in regulation time, then they take 8th and eliminate Montreal. If Montreal can force OT then they eliminate Toronto. But then whoever wins has to hope for a New York Islanders loss.

GO LEAFS GO!

I haven't been able to follow the NHL much since ESPN/ABC dropped them, but I try to check in on the Blackhawks when I can. Shame that they suck now, but I'm hopeful that the young talent they're stockpiling will start to pay dividends.

EDIT 1: After game 1 of '07-'08, Kane looks like he is gonna be a solid player for a long time.

EDIT 2: Toews looks good too, this team could be scary in a couple years.

Last edited by Adam on Thu Oct 11, 2007 9:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 7:57 pm 
The last spot in the East is a tossup to me. To be honest, I don't think it matters a whole lot unless you're a fan of one of those teams. Toronto (interestingly enough, my gf has a professor that is a big Leafs fan) is one of those teams I have a tough time with. Seems like they (ownership/management) really can't make up their mind as to where they want to go with the team. It's hard to say they've really built for the future, yet they haven't really made a commitment to trying to win now either. Paul is a good coach though. If Quinn was still there, you wouldn't even be thinking about the possibility of playoffs.

As for the western conference, I really have to say that I hope Colorado gets that eighth spot. Am I a Colorado fan? Not really, but I'm not a huge fan of any one team anyway, I just like to see good franchises and teams that play well together with players I like. (Honestly, with all the trading and such that happens now, it's kind of hard to be a fan of a particular team unless you like their tradition or their uniforms or something :rolleyes: ).

But Colorado is easily the hottest team in the NHL right now. They're playing better than anyone, and that's saying something considering some of the good teams this year and that there are 11 teams with 100+ points (which Colorado is not among). Though they might have exhausted themselves already should they make the playoffs, they could beat anyone to win the cup with the way they're playing right now. But, considering that all Calgary has to do to clinch the spot is beat (dismal) Edmonton, I don't think the odds are on the Avs' side. They better hope the Oilers are, not only due for a win, but just really want to want to play well in the last game of the season for some kind of sense of pride while the pressure gets the best of the Flames.

Otherwise, I'm pulling for Minnesota and Buffalo. The latter of which is likely to lose some players at the end of the season, breaking up a terrific team and perhaps opening the door for the Penguins to take over the East for some years to come. But I still wouldn't mind seeing the Sabres win it, especially since Hasek isn't there anymore. :wink:

-Tyrion

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 8:02 pm 
Karma Whore

GO HABS GO! GO HABS GO!

All I can say is that the Habs will destroy the Leafs on saturday, and we will take our rightful place in the playoffs, and then likely lose in the first or second round. Good times ahead.

My guesses for the Stanley Cup final are Thrashers vs. Nashville. This is just a hunch, and will most likely be proven wrong. Obviously I want the Habs to win, but I don't think its likely (though there has been a tradition lately where a low seed team makes it to the Stanley Cup finals- Edmonton, Calgary, Anaheim, Carolina in 2002). If the Habs get knocked out, then the Red Wings are my second favourite, and they have a chance for sure, though their playoff game has been pretty bad since they won the cup in 02.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 8:03 pm 
The Commish

Well whoever makes 8th will have a hard time getting past the first round, they will take on Buffalo. So Toronto, Montreal, and the Islanders are trying so hard to make the playoffs. But they will have to try even harder to make it past the first round. But both Toronto and Montreal have proved this year that they can beat Buffalo. And even though I am a Canadian boy, I would also rather see Colarado make the 8th spot. But wil Calgary and Edmonton going head to head, it seems the Avs chance will be short lived. maybe next year? Joe Sakic has signed onto another year with them, so that could be their year.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 8:18 pm 
If I remember right, Buffalo made a surge during the second half of the regular season last year which really carried over to this year even though they fell short in the playoffs. As I recall, they had a pretty nasty series with Ottawa before losing in the next round...

I think Colorado's run is somewhat similar, though it started a bit later and they might not have enough to make the playoffs. Still, if they play even close to this level next season (and guys like Stastny and Budaj continue to develop), they'll be right there near or at the top of the division. They've got the veterans, they've got the young guys, and they've got a strong goalie. And they've got chemistry together and a hunger to win. They're the real deal.

Pretty much no chance Toronto or Montreal is gonna beat Buffalo in the opening round. Not only is Buffalo simply a much better team, they're finally getting some of their injured players back (still no Afinogenov though, afaik), they also haven't had the pressure of just trying to get in. Montreal is also a lousy road team...

I don't see a low seed making it to the finals from the East. Much better chance of seeing that happen in the West, I think.

EDIT - Just read that Afinogenov is back now. I must admit I haven't watched their last couple of games because I've been paying more attention to the "bubble" teams

-Tyrion

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 8:26 pm 
The Commish

Tyrion wrote:
If I remember right, Buffalo made a surge during the second half of the regular season last year which really carried over to this year even though they fell short in the playoffs. As I recall, they had a pretty nasty series with Ottawa before losing in the next round...

I think Colorado's run is somewhat similar, though it started a bit later and they might not have enough to make the playoffs. Still, if they play even close to this level next season (and guys like Stastny and Budaj continue to develop), they'll be right there near or at the top of the division. They've got the veterans, they've got the young guys, and they've got a strong goalie. And they've got chemistry together and a hunger to win. They're the real deal.

Pretty much no chance Toronto or Montreal is gonna beat Buffalo in the opening round. Not only is Buffalo simply a much better team, they're finally getting some of their injured players back (still no Afinagenov though, afaik), they also haven't had the pressure of just trying to get in. Montreal is also a lousy road team...

I don't see a low seed making it to the finals from the East. Much better chance of seeing that happen in the West, I think.

-Tyrion

Actually Maxim is back, he played Thursday night vs. the Bruins I believe. I even think he scored. if he didn't he did play very good,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 9:19 pm 
Jeg lever med min foreldre

"Hockey is the only place where you can see two white guys fight" - some guy

and this marks my first and last contribution to this thread. please continue.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 10:12 pm 
Ist Krieg

I'm glad the Canucks stopped sucking enough in the 2nd half of the year to actually make the playoffs by a fairly wide margin instead of struggling to get in and then getting raped in the first or second round (or just not getting in like last year). I like Colorado, but Calgary is a Canadian team, so I'm kind of neutral on that, although I do hope their game on Sunday decides which team gets into the playoffs, because that would be awesome.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 10:34 pm 
Ist Krieg

By birth I am a Bruins fan, which is a hard thing to be. By transplant I am a Flyers fan, which is currently even harder. I'll root for a Ducks Stanley Cup on the back of Selanne so he can become a HHOF shoe-in---as he was the player that basically got me into the game. Oh and Versus sucks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 12:51 am 
emperorblackdoom wrote:
By birth I am a Bruins fan, which is a hard thing to be. By transplant I am a Flyers fan, which is currently even harder. I'll root for a Ducks Stanley Cup on the back of Selanne so he can become a HHOF shoe-in---as he was the player that basically got me into the game. Oh and Versus sucks.

Ouch, the Bruins and the Flyers. Two of the teams that I like the least in the entrie league. In fact, I'll probably never like the Flyers. But at least Bobby Clark is pretty much gone now...

Between Versus and NBC, there wasn't a whole lot of good coverage this year, and I really didn't care for Brett Hull's commentary on whichever one he started working for. Getting Center Ice was so worth it this season.

-Tyrion

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 2:06 am 
Einherjar

Not a big hockey fan but I want the canadians to make it. They were my favorite team growing up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 7:41 pm 
Metal Fighter

Vancouver Canucks fan here. At this point, I'm hoping the Canucks can grab the 3rd seed in the conference. The Wild still have a shot at it, but I think the Canucks will hold on.

With all the tightening up that will happen during the playoffs, I'm not sure how well the Canuck will do with such an average offence. Still a believer though. Vancouver has one of the best goaltenders in the league and a really solid defencive core.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 1:21 am 
Karma Whore

WOOHOO! 4-3! Go Ryder, go! Three goals in a row, within ten minutes! How beautiful! HAT TRICK!

Leafs outplayed us first period, but now the Habs have returned and we shall go to the playoffs! GO HABS GO!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 1:22 am 
Holy shit. Watching the Toronto / Montreal game now and it's a wild one. Toronto no more than goes up 3 to 1 and then Montreal scores 3 in a row in just a few minutes ... so it's 4 to 3, and the game isn't even half over... Wow.

-Tyrion

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 1:35 am 
Karma Whore

FUCK YEAH! 5-3! Lets see if Higgins can get that hat trick too!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 1:48 am 
Ist Krieg

5-4 >.>

I'm not really cheering for either team since I'm kinda neutral on them :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 1:52 am 
Karma Whore

noodles wrote:
5-4 >.>

I'm not really cheering for either team since I'm kinda neutral on them :D

You should cheer for the Habs, since the Leafs suck and only pussies like them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 2:43 am 
Karma Whore

FUCKITY FUKC FUCK FUCK.

Fucking penalties. Fucking Leafs. Islanders, you better win tommorow.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 2:49 am 
Ist Krieg

lol owned by smacking a guy in the face

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3329 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 167  Next