Metal Reviews

Newest and Best Metal Reviews!
FAQ :: Search :: Members :: Groups :: Register
Login
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:12 pm

Post subject: Genres that can be explored and genres that can't.
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 4:42 pm 
Karma Whore

Now that I've joined the staff I'd like to enquire the forumites about what kind of music they'd think would be fitting on Metal Reviews which doesn't belong to the metal world.
I think it's understood Progressive Rock is, what about punk rock? hardcore? blues? classic rock? etc.
Please, if all you have to contribute is that nothing other than metal should be reviewed here, refrain from posting an answer, we've heard that song play too many times already.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 4:53 pm 
Ist Krieg

I'm reviewing some hardcore so bitches better deal. I think blues in a historical context is worth doing. Howlin' Wolf most definitely or something like that. I think it's a travesty how metal's influences have been whitewashed in terms of forgetting blues' contributions.

Honestly, where I feel like hardcore is distinctly in the metal cadre and worth reviewing, I wouldn't say punk rock is. Punk rock is often defined by how it isn't metal. Classic rock seems unnecessary unless it was influential to a degree. CCR and Boston really don't serve much of a point for me in terms of needing to be reviewed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 5:00 pm 
Einherjar

traptunderice wrote:
I'm reviewing some hardcore so bitches better deal. I think blues in a historical context is worth doing. Howlin' Wolf most definitely or something like that. I think it's a travesty how metal's influences have been whitewashed in terms of forgetting blues' contributions.

Honestly, where I feel like hardcore is distinctly in the metal cadre and worth reviewing, I wouldn't say punk rock is. Punk rock is often defined by how it isn't metal. Classic rock seems unnecessary unless it was influential to a degree. CCR and Boston really don't serve much of a point for me in terms of needing to be reviewed.

I agree with this. If a reviewer knows a lot about blues, it might be interesting to read. I don't really mind what you guys review, as long as it isn't something silly like Venetian Snares.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 5:50 pm 
Karma Whore

Venetian Snares wasn't silly but I get your point.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 6:33 pm 
Ist Krieg

The Annoying Frenchman wrote:
Venetian Snares wasn't silly

Disagreed on that one. But I understand Edge's general point: generally I show more interest in the non-metal reviews than the average metal review here, if for no other reason than the reviewer has to go the extra length to 'sell it'.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 6:35 pm 
Einherjar

I'm for it as long as someone reviews an ICP album so everyone can pan it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 6:39 pm 
Ist Krieg

anything badass

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:32 pm 
Metal Servant

Didn't some reviewer a long time ago get bitched out at because he reviewed too much out of metal all the time?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:41 pm 
Ist Krieg

falconpaawnch wrote:
Didn't some reviewer a long time ago get bitched out at because he reviewed too much out of metal all the time?

While being extremely condescending about it, yes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:02 pm 
Metal King

I've bitched about this before but if you're goint to review an album that isn't metal please mention in your review the connection it has to metal and why it's worthy of being reviewed on a site called "Metal Reviews."

The worst offender of this was the Little Richard review. Again, I got nothing against Little Richard but forgive me if I found it a little strange to find a review of his album on MetalReviews.com :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:37 pm 
Metal Servant

Metastable To Chaos wrote:
I've bitched about this before but if you're goint to review an album that isn't metal please mention in your review the connection it has to metal and why it's worthy of being reviewed on a site called "Metal Reviews."

The worst offender of this was the Little Richard review. Again, I got nothing against Little Richard but forgive me if I found it a little strange to find a review of his album on MetalReviews.com :P

I agree along the same lines. The reviews should at least stay in the rock territory.
Also if the staff is planning to review a lot of albums that aren't metal, is it possible to add another search option as "other" maybe?
Or is that a bit broad?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:54 pm 
Einherjar

^ I'd think that they should stick to heavy music i,e even if its not metal, but as long as its rock I kinda agree. Kinda hard to hammer out the details.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 2:42 am 
Einherjar

please mention in your review the connection it has to metal and why it's worthy of being reviewed on a site called "Metal Reviews."

Very VERY much agreed with this. I'm all for reviewing rock, blues, jazz, whatever, but I believe the connection to metal should be made evident in the review. Otherwise, there are plenty of other review sites for it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:56 am 
Ist Krieg

we need nonmetalthatmakesyouthinkofmetalreviews.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:19 am 
Karma Whore

please mention in your review the connection it has to metal and why it's worthy of being reviewed on a site called "Metal Reviews."

Agreed.
When reviewing an album which isn't metal on MR, it should be from a "Metal perspective".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:09 pm 
MetalReviews Staff

Yeah, agreed with those points. Whenever I've reviewed something nonmetal, and I have quite a bit, I've tried to do it in a way that explains the appeal to an open-minded metalhead, so eg talk about this band having riffs and solos, or that band making music that's crushingly heavy and dark without actually using guitars and drums in the same way. I've classick'ed a couple of classic rock albums and think that eg Led Zep definitely have appeal to metalheads.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 1:57 am 
Metal King

I think it's great if you guys review some different types of music. Even if it's not metal. But stuff a metalhead might like. I think that's awesome.

Btw people will bitch. But whatever.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:33 pm 
I live with my parents!

It's so pleasant to see everyone getting along so nicely. I had totally missed this thread. I do think making a relevant connection where Heavy Music connects to say something in the blues genre and its connectivity to Heavy music will be very clarifying. It can also be a possible that since the reviews on this site can be very diverse, one could simply create an extra link to the NON-Metal reviewed albums. It would make it easier and would make this site very unique and I think might attract new posters and potentially new reviewers! Industrial, Electronica, Neo-Folk, Dark-Wave, Dark Classical are all in the realms of the "listening habits" of a metal lover. I believe it can be very relevant indeed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:27 pm 
Metal Servant

Define Infinity wrote:
Industrial

Skinny Puppy reviews please.
Maybe some Throbbing Gristle as well.