Metal Reviews

Newest and Best Metal Reviews!
FAQ :: Search :: Members :: Groups :: Register
Login
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:26 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 917 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 42, 43, 44, 45, 46  Next   
 Post subject: Re: the post count +1 thread (Music Edition)
PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2022 4:22 pm 
MetalReviews Staff

Interesting AMA on the black metal subreddit with Satanic Warmaster

https://old.reddit.com/r/BlackMetal/com ... erwolf_qa/

His new single is on Spotify and iTunes.

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2022 4:35 am 
Ist Krieg

I found his response preferring Kanye to Ghost amusing. And his np - Far Beyond Driven was a solid, if surprising answer. Never thought I'd see him on reddit ama :lol:

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2022 4:24 pm 
MetalReviews Staff

https://www.facebook.com/officialnargar ... 8200974845

"Erik, please put down the gun and do not rape the angels"

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2022 2:58 pm 
MetalReviews Staff

https://blabbermouth.net/news/swedish-d ... st-records

Fucking FINALLY Dismember have got their act together!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2022 7:24 pm 
MetalReviews Staff

Apparently, Ministry have cancelled their entire European tour based solely on losing a single festival slot, throwing a certain independent UK festival* into chaos, and although I do have a lot of love for Al and co this is the shittiest of behaviour and should definitely be called out. If it was, ooh I dunno Megadeth, every metal site on the web would be blasting them, but thanks to masterpieces like "Antifa" everyone loves them, I guess?

Ughhhhhh. I'm often very glad not to be an insider in the metal world (relatively speaking), but things like this makes me think that people should be more willing to call out name bands instead of endlessly praising them for fear of losing access. Ten years ago I'd have written an editorial about this, the metallic versions of Alex Jones and CNNs, but who needs the hassle. If you're reading this you're enough of an insider to be able to name multiple examples of both. But I'm sure there have been plenty of times *insert B list tier metal band* have deserved calling out that they've got away with, and if it was I dunno, Guns n Roses, some magazine would have called them out for something other than extremely vague right-leaning sympathies.

Even if we're ignoring the whole left/right thing, which as I've said before shouldn't come into metal at all but regardless is fuel for plenty of fires otherwise, can we all agree that pulling out of tours for bullshit reasons is a Bullshit Thing for a band to do, especially if you're a Name Band like Ministry are? Getting to the point where the Rolling Stones have retired more times...

*Damnation, not that there are hundreds of them!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2022 8:07 pm 
Ist Krieg

Goat wrote:
Apparently, Ministry have cancelled their entire European tour based solely on losing a single festival slot, throwing a certain independent UK festival* into chaos, and although I do have a lot of love for Al and co this is the shittiest of behaviour and should definitely be called out. If it was, ooh I dunno Megadeth, every metal site on the web would be blasting them, but thanks to masterpieces like "Antifa" everyone loves them, I guess?

Ughhhhhh. I'm often very glad not to be an insider in the metal world (relatively speaking), but things like this makes me think that people should be more willing to call out name bands instead of endlessly praising them for fear of losing access. Ten years ago I'd have written an editorial about this, the metallic versions of Alex Jones and CNNs, but who needs the hassle. If you're reading this you're enough of an insider to be able to name multiple examples of both. But I'm sure there have been plenty of times *insert B list tier metal band* have deserved calling out that they've got away with, and if it was I dunno, Guns n Roses, some magazine would have called them out for something other than extremely vague right-leaning sympathies.

Even if we're ignoring the whole left/right thing, which as I've said before shouldn't come into metal at all but regardless is fuel for plenty of fires otherwise, can we all agree that pulling out of tours for bullshit reasons is a Bullshit Thing for a band to do, especially if you're a Name Band like Ministry are? Getting to the point where the Rolling Stones have retired more times...

*Damnation, not that there are hundreds of them!

Good points on a subject I've been thinking about too! Your Ministry example of bands getting away with bullshit brings a couple examples to mind.

Many The Black Dahlia Murder fans are still blaming Parkway Drive for Trevor Strnad's death because he committed suicide when they would have been on tour with PWD in the USA. PWD's cancellation press release claimed 'needing time to reflect' and 'mental health' while still assuring people they'd tour Europe a few months later, and release their new (shitty) album. It was a blatant cop out due to low ticket sales, and their pathetic non-reason for cancelling angered people at the time but infuriated people later when Strnad killed himself. Did any metal publication say anything negative about PWD? Never.

Dance Gavin Dance in the past year has had their bassist die, only to announce 4 days later they would proceed with summer tour plans and new album release just as scheduled. Then their vocalist gets sexual assault accusations and they get booted off a tour with Coheed And Cambria. Then their replacement vocalist apparently needs rest so they cancel their European tour. Their new album still debuts #8 in the USA (because people have bad taste) and not a negative word is to be found in heavy music publications about several curious decisions they made in the past year.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2023 4:51 pm 
MetalReviews Staff

That Black Metal Rainbows thing is still going:

https://www.invisibleoranges.com/black- ... ease-show/

Quote:
At the end of the song the screen lit up with the words MUSIC WAS A FUCKING MISTAKE, to howling cheers.

"Fuck music, read a book!" People in the audience cried.

Quote:
I've seen PM Press tables at shows before, but never a metal show. When I stopped by to pick up a copy of Black Metal Rainbows one of the editors admitted he was better versed in punk music, though the overlap between the genres was clear from the audience.

Really sounds like y'all are into black metal!

And this made me laugh:

Quote:
Imperial Triumphant's tour manager was selling Deco Noir at the merch table, a coffee brand roasted and packaged by friends on the island of Manhattan. The coffee label fit in with Imperial Triumphant's album and merchandise art, which was made up of art deco skyscraper flourishes in black and gold.

Of course Imperial Triumphant have their own coffee!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2023 10:11 pm 
Ist Krieg

Goat wrote:
Imperial Triumphant's tour manager was selling Deco Noir at the merch table, a coffee brand roasted and packaged by friends on the island of Manhattan. The coffee label fit in with Imperial Triumphant's album and merchandise art, which was made up of art deco skyscraper flourishes in black and gold.

Of course Imperial Triumphant have their own coffee!

Indeed of course they do. The Brooklyn Trust Fund Black Metal scene is so interconnected. Doug Moore is the vocalist for Pyrrhon, and former editor of Invisible Oranges. Pyrrhon and Imperial Triumphant have shared band members. None of these people have ever worked a real job for a day in their lives, so of course a black metal as leftist performance art show would be their milieu. Some of these trust funders have made good music, sure, but it all strikes me as dishonest. Thanks for sharing!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2023 5:00 pm 
Ist Krieg

Enslaved on Instagram now calls themselves 'Avant-garde Extreme Metal with a Progressive-Melodic edge.' :lol:
Combined with my very underwhelmed reaction to the new album it was the perfect time to unfollow them.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2023 10:25 pm 
MetalReviews Staff

North From Here wrote:
Enslaved on Instagram now calls themselves 'Avant-garde Extreme Metal with a Progressive-Melodic edge.' :lol:
Combined with my very underwhelmed reaction to the new album it was the perfect time to unfollow them.

Not heard it yet, but that sounds underwhelming... what was wrong with black, viking, pagan metal? Are they trying to take the Solefald fanbase? (Laz and Corny have a new album coming btw)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2023 5:54 am 
Ist Krieg

Goat wrote:
North From Here wrote:

Not heard it yet, but that sounds underwhelming... what was wrong with black, viking, pagan metal? Are they trying to take the Solefald fanbase? (Laz and Corny have a new album coming btw)

I think you might be onto something. Grutle just doesn't do enough vocals for me anymore (clean or growl), and there was nothing 'extreme' that I hear in their sound at this point, much less black or viking. Been a fan of this band since 2001, but looking back the only album I've only really liked since Isa has been In Times. Though recently I liked E more than you I remember, and Utgard was fine. Maybe the wonky album release schedule killed my reaction to this one? Feels like some of these 'new' tracks have been around forever already, because they have. :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2023 1:40 pm 
MetalReviews Staff

https://blabbermouth.net/news/roof-at-m ... spitalized

This is awful.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2023 5:02 am 
Ist Krieg

Yeah, terrible stuff. About 80 people die and 1500 injuries in the USA from tornadoes happen every year.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2023 5:04 am 
Ist Krieg

Going back through Cradle of Filth's vast discography it's silly how I deemed them uncool to like for years. Incredible how good they've managed to be despite their subpar vocalist. Also COF>>>Dimmu.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2023 11:01 am 
MetalReviews Staff

North From Here wrote:
Going back through Cradle of Filth's vast discography it's silly how I deemed them uncool to like for years. Incredible how good they've managed to be despite their subpar vocalist. Also COF>>>Dimmu.

Those screechy vocals are enough to put people off, despite the above-solid musicianship. Tbh I have to be in a specific mood for Cradle these days...

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2023 4:41 pm 
Ist Krieg

90's Cradle of Filth is some of the sickest music ever.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2023 10:54 pm 
Ist Krieg

Goat wrote:
North From Here wrote:

Those screechy vocals are enough to put people off, despite the above-solid musicianship. Tbh I have to be in a specific mood for Cradle these days...

Sounds like me with 99% of all prog-power metal these days. Except those specific moods never come. :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2023 10:56 pm 
Ist Krieg

huskerc7 wrote:
90's Cradle of Filth is some of the sickest music ever.

Agreed husker. In particular, Vempire, Dusk, and Cruelty was a hell of a three album run. Stuart Anstis was an incredible guitarist/songwriter. RIP.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2023 11:14 am 
MetalReviews Staff

Very interesting interview with Jef Whitehead

https://www.bardomethodology.com/articl ... interview/

Looking back, I overreacted to the situation around True Traitor True Whore's creation. Definitely amongst the worst Leviathan albums though, as JW admits.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2023 4:03 pm 
Ist Krieg

Goat wrote:
Very interesting interview with Jef Whitehead

https://www.bardomethodology.com/articl ... interview/

Looking back, I overreacted to the situation around True Traitor True Whore's creation. Definitely amongst the worst Leviathan albums though, as JW admits.

lol sounds like he met a real psycho bitch.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 917 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 42, 43, 44, 45, 46  Next