Metal Reviews

Newest and Best Metal Reviews!
FAQ :: Search :: Members :: Groups :: Register
Login
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:47 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 232 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next   
 Post subject: Re: Your Favourite Song of the Moment 2.0
PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 8:34 pm 
Ist Krieg

Well, that sucks to know.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:26 pm 
MetalReviews Staff

Been on a huge Sabbath kick lately so of course this is the song that sticks in my head:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQ6YoEFKpgo

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 2:43 am 
Einherjar

Visigoth - Traitor's Gate

Been caught in Youtube speed metal hell lately and this track just fucking pumps my nads like crazy. Jake Rogers' baritone crushes all the girly, power metal squeelers out there like so much dust.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 11:44 pm 
MetalReviews Staff

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zniDdYOLYt0

Hope I'm still kicking as much arse as Bobby Blitz at that age. New album is more than solid.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:20 pm 
Einherjar

Goat wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zniDdYOLYt0

Hope I'm still kicking as much arse as Bobby Blitz at that age. New album is more than solid.

Don't we all. Blitzy is still the fuckin' thrash standard for frontmen as far as I'm concerned.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 11:05 pm 
Ist Krieg

I'm on my the longest hiatus from metal in 20 years, largely because I'm tired of ignoring vocals. Instead I've being deepdiving into grunge/90s altrock/shoegaze and 80s post-punk, (Siouxsie in the Banshees were particularly incredible). One of my favorite metalish grunge bands was Alice in Chains, and what made them special? Vocal harmonies. How common are vocal harmonies in hard rockish music? I have no idea, but I wanted to hear more.

Veruca Salt were a dual female fronted band my sister loved 20 years ago. I probably ignored them at the time because girl bands were icky, and I wrongfully associated them with the Riot grrrl/punk movement, where musicianship and songcraft were not the focus. VS featured a truly talented guitar player in Louise Post, a woman who could shred, write dirgey grunge solos, and a whole manner of catchy riffs, all while singing/screaming in 4 different genre styles. Combined with the clean pop vocals/sensibilities of Nina Gordon, Veruca Salt had a moderately winning formula from 1993-97 before notorious producer Bob Rock helped demolish yet another band.

tldr: let go of any prior association you may have with Veruca Salt and just listen: "Disinherit" manages to be dreary, sometimes loud and always disturbing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HxxAip9t-kY

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 11:21 pm 
Ist Krieg

I've been listening to Morrissey a lot.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 11:37 pm 
MetalReviews Staff

Interesting post, NFH! On a tangent, I do think the various female-fronted bands that followed in The Gathering's footsteps were/are underrated and should have done better, perhaps closer to prog than grunge but still with that vocal focus and mix of grunge/alt/prog styles. (Coincidentally, I've reviewed a few!)

The Provenance - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cbax-Oup-Lc
Madder Mortem - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8DIDksyQJUk
Autumn - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zAI0GOJ9-QY

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 5:41 am 
Ist Krieg

Nothing wrong with listening to Morrissey husker.

Thanks for the links, Goat. The Autumn track was fine, just a little too standard metal sounding at the moment. But Madder Mortem and The Provenance (shame they broke up long ago) both brought more of that pop/rock sensibility I was looking for right now. Thanks, will investigate further!

I was watching an Emperor performance from last year earlier today actually, so I'm not wavering on metal permanently, just surprised how suddenly I came to the realization that I really missed good, even occasionally poppy, vocals.

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 9:57 am 
MetalReviews Staff

It's one of those things that is hard to appreciate in metal, mainly because they're so rare in the death/black/heavier scenes and so over-the-top in power metal land. Always good when they do come up, however. Are you an Evergrey fan? Their latest certainly has a few earworms, especially that Weightless single and its chorus, although might be a bit riff-y for what you're after.

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 9:44 pm 
Ist Krieg

Yeah, I was listening to Weightless when it was released, infectious stuff. Vuur isn't bad either, have always loved Anneke's voice, but both are a bit more prog than what I'm interested in right now.

I listened to more Autumn and will keep trying with them as the vocalist mostly won me over, as well as Provenance and Madder Mortum.

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 12:06 am 
Ist Krieg

I'm also addicted to listening to Mushroomhead now and have been for a while. Their albums are pretty hit and miss but the good songs on them I really like. I love Jeff's voice.

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 4:47 am 
Ist Krieg

huskerc7 wrote:
I'm also addicted to listening to Mushroomhead now and have been for a while. Their albums are pretty hit and miss but the good songs on them I really like. I love Jeff's voice.

Recommend a few songs to me husker, everything gets a fair shake from me now, well anything besides rap, some bridges are still too far for me to cross, no matter how old I get. :lol:

Anyone ever hang out on the 4chan /mu/ board? I know, it is 4chan so 75%+ of it will be memes and/or trolling especially the metal threads (Varg), but I actually saw a topic today on the band Garbage, which I managed to get expanded into a generalized thread about 90s female fronted alt-rock, and get someone else into Veruca Salt. We also got a whole bunch of recommendations thrown back and forth on The Breeders, Babes in Toyland, Juliana Hatfield, PJ Harvey, etc., and an obscure noise pop/rock band called Helium which really impressed me. Take a look if you are remotely interested in this stuff: http://boards.4channel.org/mu/thread/87611924/garbage

Can you tell I miss the golden age of music/metal forums?

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 5:14 am 
Ist Krieg

Some Good Mushroomhead songs:

Come On
Slaughterhouse Road
The War Inside
Before I Die
These Filthy Hands
Solitaire Unraveling
Our Apologies
For Your Pleasure
Out Of My Mind

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 10:48 pm 
Ist Krieg

huskerc7 wrote:

Come On
Slaughterhouse Road
The War Inside
Before I Die
These Filthy Hands
Solitaire Unraveling
Our Apologies
For Your Pleasure
Out Of My Mind

You are right about the singer's voice being impressive: how does he manage to go from standard thrash vocals to a better version of a Serj Tarkanian/Les Claypool hybrid? And they are obviously good musicians. Shame when the nu-metal riffing/vocals comes in because it really throws me out of enjoying the songs. Still These Filthy Hands is really great, the piano makes it work, and no nu metal stuff in 43.

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 11:45 pm 
Ist Krieg

North From Here wrote:
huskerc7 wrote:

Come On
Slaughterhouse Road
The War Inside
Before I Die
These Filthy Hands
Solitaire Unraveling
Our Apologies
For Your Pleasure
Out Of My Mind

You are right about the singer's voice being impressive: how does he manage to go from standard thrash vocals to a better version of a Serj Tarkanian/Les Claypool hybrid? And they are obviously good musicians. Shame when the nu-metal riffing/vocals comes in because it really throws me out of enjoying the songs. Still These Filthy Hands is really great, the piano makes it work, and no nu metal stuff in 43.

yeah I can see people not liking them because of the nu-metal element. Their old stuff with the old guitar player is better guitar wise than the new stuff. He left the band in 2001 (I think due to drug related problems) and died back in 2010.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2019 6:27 am 
Ist Krieg

Jucifer's Stalingrad album is really good. This track is not 10:30, but unfortunately only 7 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6LTE8rU01eU. ложь во спасение starts with mid-paced double bass fun before turning into a monster sludge section at about 3:10. It then adds some droning leads over top before ending with some Russian narration. If a married couple makes music this loud I have to imagine they have a very healthy sexlife. :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 3:01 pm 
Ist Krieg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQkq2BjtosI

can't stop watching this. :dio:

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2019 8:55 pm 
MetalReviews Staff

Tool - Invincible

Hopefully the review will be finished for this week. I've deleted half of it and it's still nearly 1500 words long...

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 3:20 am 
Ist Krieg

Goat wrote:
Tool - Invincible

Hopefully the review will be finished for this week. I've deleted half of it and it's still nearly 1500 words long...

I just heard it for the 60th time. So good!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 232 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next