It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:19 am

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 1:12 am 
MetalReviews Staff

I'll save it for next time you screw up, then. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 1:49 am 
Karma Whore

Are they Metalcore with a Brutal Death Metal style or are they Brutal Death Metal with a Metalcore style?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 2:13 am 
MetalReviews Staff

Ok now we're talking. The accessibility that I find them to be incorporating on this album is, as you put it, a jump for the mainstream. I thought I made that clear in the review, and my reference to Bullet For My Valentine was not made lightly.

Their form of music may not have changed over the past two albums, but I also found Traitors to be similarly forgettable. After I listened to this one a few times, I went back to my favorite album by the band, Retaliate, to hear what exactly it was that I found so appealing about this band. Retaliate is musically better in so many ways. The songwriting is much more inventive without resorting to generic chugging riffs, instead using changing time signatures and much more technically interesting guitar and bass work. I'm not going to go more in depth at this point.

Let's be honest, you can write the best lyrics in the world, but if they're being growled this brutally no one is going to know what you're saying unless they take the time to read them, which I find to be increasingly rare these days. And if you can't remember being particularly moved by the music itself, it becomes even less likely.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 2:59 am 
Einherjar

So I just listened to this and I liked it. Nothing super memorable, but then again I wouldn't expect to have a chorus stuck in my head after listening to this type of music. The only other album of theirs I have listened to is Traitors. Maybe I'll have to check out the older stuff to figure out what all the disappointment is about.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 4:23 pm 
Banned Mallcore Kiddie

MetalStorm wrote:
Are they Metalcore with a Brutal Death Metal style or are they Brutal Death Metal with a Metalcore style?

Nah, they are brutal death with a hardcore influence, a bit faster than Dying Fetus

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 10:20 pm 
Ist Krieg

@Raven: Sparky just left the band.

khelek@metalreviews.com wrote:
Ok now we're talking. The accessibility that I find them to be incorporating on this album is, as you put it, a jump for the mainstream. I thought I made that clear in the review, and my reference to Bullet For My Valentine was not made lightly.
Seriously? You need to define accessibility. Hearing BFMV when it's just leaning more towards their Negative Approach or Assuck influences is ridiculous. I feel like your approach to this album is entirely wrong when you're comparing them to Behemoth, Decapitated and All Shall Perish. Those 3 are entirely different and MI has really not much to do with any of them.

Quote:
Their form of music may not have changed over the past two albums, but I also found Traitors to be similarly forgettable.
This is better than Traitors since it's less polished.
Quote:
After I listened to this one a few times, I went back to my favorite album by the band, Retaliate, to hear what exactly it was that I found so appealing about this band. Retaliate is musically better in so many ways. The songwriting is much more inventive without resorting to generic chugging riffs, instead using changing time signatures and much more technically interesting guitar and bass work. I'm not going to go more in depth at this point.
Honestly, I've never heard Retaliate and got into this band through Discordia so we're going to have different expectations.

Quote:
Let's be honest, you can write the best lyrics in the world, but if they're being growled this brutally no one is going to know what you're saying unless they take the time to read them, which I find to be increasingly rare these days. And if you can't remember being particularly moved by the music itself, it becomes even less likely.
If you can't keep up with brutal dm vocals, you just need to listen to more brutal dm.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 6:31 am 
Metal Lord

...."just want something loud and heavy to rock out to"....Exactly, that is what this is for :dio:. I don't think the point of this music is to move people or provide a deep atmosphere, it just means to kick ass. Pretty solid album imo.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 2:44 pm 
MetalReviews Staff

traptunderice wrote:
Seriously? You need to define accessibility. Hearing BFMV when it's just leaning more towards their Negative Approach or Assuck influences is ridiculous. I feel like your approach to this album is entirely wrong when you're comparing them to Behemoth, Decapitated and All Shall Perish. Those 3 are entirely different and MI has really not much to do with any of them.

Not much to do with any of them? I was making a simple comparison. Believe it or not Misery Index in their current form do not have the most original sound out there.

Quote:
This is better than Traitors since it's less polished.

Opinions I obviously do not share.

Quote:
Honestly, I've never heard Retaliate and got into this band through Discordia so we're going to have different expectations.

Exactly, which is why this debate is pointless. I don't want or expect everyone to agree with my opinions on any given album.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 4:41 am 
Einherjar

Had this in my truck lately and I really like it. I'd probably add 20 points to the score.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 4:25 pm 
Ist Krieg

Orion wrote:
Had this in my truck lately and I really like it. I'd probably add 20 points to the score.
:dio:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 5:38 pm 
Einherjar

The review is probably spot on. I have their first album and it's certainly not memorable in any way. 61 isn't really a terrible score, honestly. I think too many albums here are given far too many points..

It's a 100 point scale. 50 would be so so. Like Jurassic Park 3 or something. You'll watch it because it's Jurassic Park and has Dr. Grant and shit, but it's really not that good.