Metal Reviews

Newest and Best Metal Reviews!
FAQ :: Search :: Members :: Groups :: Register
Login
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:11 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 117 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 1:37 am 
Metal Servant

Metastable To Chaos wrote:
About2Crash wrote:
Wow, with all of the whining and complaining in this thread I think that a review of Beastie Boys - License to Ill is in order.

Explain to me why this review (Little Richard....not the Beastie Boys) is appropriate for Metal Reviews. Please, I'm dying to hear your answer.
I don't have an answer and I personally don't care enough to come up with one. If anything, I am just laughing at the sheer amount of trollage that is afoot.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 1:47 am 
Banned Mallcore Kiddie

Or you could tackle some of the stuff in the rec threads,ya know Zad is beating you all to those babies

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 4:09 am 
Ist Krieg

boredatwork wrote:
On the review list mentioned earlier, is it all stuff you've already heard and just want validation for your musical taste? Or are you legitimately curious about something, but don't want to spend your own money on it, therefore asking people to buy something and review it for you?

Just curious.
If we wanted validation, we could use the rest of the internet for that. It's not like Zad or Chuck reviewing an album is going to assure me that my tastes are quality. If we were legitimately curious, wouldn't it be easier to just download the damn album then to wait on the inefficiency of an album being reviewed off the damn list which none of the reviewers besides Zad notices?

Why I ask for things to be reviewed is to bring attention to good bands which I enjoy which I think others would like and who I think deserve the attention. If I had the time, I'd offer to write for the site but I don't so I request that others do so. It also provides some form of democratic participation to the site insofar as the site would come to reflect bands which we want to read about and want others to listen to. Reviews also lead to discussion so rather than creating threads ad nauseum about the albums I love, reviews provide a common ground for discussion of an album. Plus there is nothing I like more than Zad saying he likes an album I like.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 4:35 am 
Ist Krieg

traptunderice wrote:
boredatwork wrote:
On the review list mentioned earlier, is it all stuff you've already heard and just want validation for your musical taste? Or are you legitimately curious about something, but don't want to spend your own money on it, therefore asking people to buy something and review it for you?

Just curious.

to bring attention to good bands which I enjoy which I think others would like and who I think deserve the attention...

... Reviews also lead to discussion so rather than creating threads ad nauseum about the albums I love, reviews provide a common ground for discussion of an album.

Precisely.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 5:45 am 
Karma Whore

traptunderice wrote:
If I had the time, I'd offer to write for the site but I don't so I request that others do so

I would like to come back to the asylum if the boys in charge will let me back in.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 5:49 am 
Banned Mallcore Kiddie

MetalStorm wrote:
traptunderice wrote:
If I had the time, I'd offer to write for the site but I don't so I request that others do so

I would like to come back to the asylum if the boys in charge will let me back in.

ME TOOOOOOOOO
ZAD, KYLE HOLLLA ATCHA BOY!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 10:27 am 
MetalReviews Staff

traptunderice wrote:
Plus there is nothing I like more than Zad saying he likes an album I like.

Awww. :wub: Merry Christmas, guys.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 11:19 am 
Einherjar

Little Richard is totally metal related, once you accept that the roots of the tree count too. Blue Cheer aren't metal either, but they have a connection that every metal fan should understand and respect if they care at all how the music they like came to be. I am firmly in the camp of the best quality is the best without consideration at all to the period. Everything should stand up to anything, but come on, if people are going to glorify the beatles to the extent they are, surely much better deserves at least equal attention. You don't have to make excuses for early rock and roll because it was built on a foundation of solid songwriting that is timeless.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 12:55 am 
Metal Lord

THANK YOU.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 2:40 am 
Ist Krieg

I like Little Richard but my point still stands that weak review for random oddity archive deserve some criticism.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 11:11 am 
Metal Servant

I am totally waiting for that cover of License to Ill. :dio:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 6:13 pm 
Metal Slave

Can people take these shit reviews and put them on pitchfork where they like reviews of stupid shit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 7:37 pm 
The Commish

Nattulv wrote:
Can people take these shit reviews and put them on pitchfork where they like reviews of stupid shit.

Yeah!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 7:45 pm 
Ist Krieg

We should only review Avante-garde experimental jazz fusioin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 7:45 pm 
Einherjar

Adveser wrote:
Little Richard is totally metal related, once you accept that the roots of the tree count too. Blue Cheer aren't metal either, but they have a connection that every metal fan should understand and respect if they care at all how the music they like came to be. I am firmly in the camp of the best quality is the best without consideration at all to the period. Everything should stand up to anything, but come on, if people are going to glorify the beatles to the extent they are, surely much better deserves at least equal attention. You don't have to make excuses for early rock and roll because it was built on a foundation of solid songwriting that is timeless.

Yeah fucking great. Who cares. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 8:56 pm 
Ist Krieg

The Evil Dead wrote:
Adveser wrote:

+1 Adveser can draw the continuity line all he wants between Little Richard and the verse/chorus stuff he listens to all he wants but it doesn't speak for the whole metal genre.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 9:31 pm 
Metal King

huskerc7 wrote:
We should only review Avante-garde experimental jazz fusioin

One day, when Goat's back is turned. One day...

:ph34r:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 10:13 pm 
Ist Krieg

emperorblackdoom wrote:
The Evil Dead wrote:
Adveser wrote:

+1 Adveser can draw the continuity line all he wants between Little Richard and the verse/chorus stuff he listens to all he wants but it doesn't speak for the whole metal genre.

Fuck Little Richard.
There is no link to metal.
The roots of metal originate in the mid-late 60s, anybody that says otherwise doesn't know their history.
Why stop there? Why not review jump blues, gospel and whatever spirituals influenced Little Richard?
Hell, Jerry Lee Lewis is more "metal" than Little Richard.
Tutti Frutti?
Get the fuck outta here with that shit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 10:21 pm 
The Commish

+1

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2010 5:05 am 
Ist Krieg

Don't get me wrong; I have no contention at all with Little Richard being reviewed, or anything else (within reason), it's just a bit silly to try and justify it by somehow linking it to metal.

If you want to review it, do it.

The common factor in the turning point from strictly rock towards what would eventually be known as heavy metal is the loud, distorted guitar. Indeed, the guitar is the central aspect, even to the point of driving the music (Kinks, Yardbirds, The Who, one of the first to use Marshall amps, incidentally). That and a heavier subject matter / overall feeling (Iron Butterfly, Steppenwolf, Cream, etc).

There is a direct lineage with psychedelic / acid rock, as well.

This (Little Richard) is piano and vocal driven, one step removed from boogie, really, and I just don't see the linkage, sorry.

Last edited by cry of the banshee on Sat Dec 25, 2010 5:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 117 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next