Metal Reviews

Newest and Best Metal Reviews!
FAQ :: Search :: Members :: Groups :: Register
Login
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:39 pm

Post subject: Caliban - The Opposite from Within (#2404)
PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 6:07 am 
You're welcome to comment on:
Quote:
Caliban - The Opposite from Within
Metalcore
Quoted: 70 / 100

Click here to see the review.

Post subject: Odd.
PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 5:13 pm 
Banned Mallcore Kiddie

I own an album of Caliban's, and I've heard stuff off their split with Heaven shall burn... I'm going to go out on a limb here, and assume this is the first album you've ever heard by them, and that they've become more mainstream. Because, to be honest, the Caliban I know is not a cut and paste band. Yes, the vocals are almost identical to many bands, but I knew them to have what definitely sounded like original material on their previous album, and in the song assassin of love off the mentions split with Heaven Shall Burn, they pretty much blew me away.

So, am I to assume they've totally changed here?

Post subject: Re: Odd.
PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 10:28 pm 
OurFinestCoward wrote:
I own an album of Caliban's, and I've heard stuff off their split with Heaven shall burn... I'm going to go out on a limb here, and assume this is the first album you've ever heard by them, and that they've become more mainstream. Because, to be honest, the Caliban I know is not a cut and paste band. Yes, the vocals are almost identical to many bands, but I knew them to have what definitely sounded like original material on their previous album, and in the song assassin of love off the mentions split with Heaven Shall Burn, they pretty much blew me away.

So, am I to assume they've totally changed here?

Hmm... i'm not all too sure if they've totally changed because as you assumed correctly, i haven't heard any of their old material. Perhaps i should have rethought my use of the words "carbon cut and paste" but i still stand quite firmly on the fact that they sound verrry much like the standard metalcore bands out there. to answer your question, you'd be the best person to judge if they've totally changed or not. nevertheless, i believe think this is a fairly good album but i prefer heaven shall burn's new release as well as Unearth's.

Jason,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 6:09 am 
Banned Mallcore Kiddie

Hey, no way you should rethink anything you say. I'm just amazed that to one person's ears, they've become carbon copy and paste. Needless to say, I still haven't looked into their new one, but the way you describe them, I'm starting to think I'm not going to like it. Well, here's to the metal head listen.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 6:40 am 
Banned Mallcore Kiddie

Update:

OH MY GOD!

THEY F'N SUCK BALLS!!!! Everyone, as in anyone who ever reads this review, do not buy this album. Where you can find this album is the same place you can find the previous one, "Shadow Hearts."

We are talking on a scale of 1-10, this album being a 1, Shadow Hearts is a 10. Caliban used to be the shit, and you'll understand why when you listen to the old shit. Christ...

You were right, dude, every song is a cut and paste riff, TOTALLY abandoning the old ferocious vocals... and every refrain is a pussy "All they show on headbangers ball" shitty clean vocal whine fest. Don't get me wrong, people, I love clean vocals. But, when metal core bands do it, THEY BETTER DO THEM WELL, or the whole song is F*CKED. On Shadow Hearts, Caliban almost had me crying with Forsaken Horizon. This is one of the few songs on the album that had clean vocals... and they weren't just the copy and paste kind, his voice and the way he sang was TOTALLY different. And the melody... catchy, ORIGINAL, and moving. I mean it. It was really distinct. Anyhow, if you dig that kind of thing... you know, clean vocals that seem to "revolution" metalcore, you need to pick up Shadow Hearts.

And screw this new album. I've heard this band a million times, and it's name is "Generic MTV2 Metalcore Band" Because the band itself no longer deserves to be named CALIBAN.

Wow... it felt good to get that off my chest... and believe me, it was only on my chest for like 5 seconds before this post.

Post subject: At least 90/100...
PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2004 7:28 am 
This album is perfect, i just love it.
Lots of killing songs, perfect hardcore with melodeath in the veins of Killswitch Engage.

I can't stop listening to it.... and "Goodbye" is my favorite... you don't even said it was one of the "killing songs".

So... whatever... this is not a new "In Flames" or "Soilwork"... this is CALIBAN.