Metal Reviews

Newest and Best Metal Reviews!
FAQ :: Search :: Members :: Groups :: Register
Login
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:37 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 1:35 pm 
Metal Lord

Amazing album, I was absolutely blown away the first time I heard it, and still am every time since.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 9:41 pm 
Svartalfar

One of my favorite metal albums of all time, and my favorite Death album. A true classic!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 11:38 pm 
The Commish

No blast beats means no death metal :rolleyes:

As I said, Scream Bloody Gore and the old demos are pretty brutal. Listen to them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 2:29 pm 
Metal Lord

following the reaper wrote:
Well then its not really death metal is it?

Death is still more brutal and punishing than most thrash metal. They're just more melodic and less superficial than most other death metal bands. Especially on their 90's albums.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 6:15 pm 
Metal King

Just because it's not as brutal as say, Cannibal Corpse or Morbid Angel, doesn't mean it isn't death metal. I mean fuck, who would actually dispute that Death are anything other than death metal?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 5:28 am 
Banned Mallcore Kiddie

SoulSociety wrote:

Just because it's not as brutal as say, Cannibal Corpse or Morbid Angel, doesn't mean it isn't death metal. I mean fuck, who would actually dispute that Death are anything other than death metal?

i don't think its too far of a stretch to say Leprosy and Scream bloody gore were thrash

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 6:04 am 
The Commish

stevelovesmoonspell wrote:
SoulSociety wrote:

i don't think its too far of a stretch to say Leprosy and Scream bloody gore were thrash

Maybe by todays standards of death metal and thrash metal. But back then, it was death metal and nothing but.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 8:20 am 
Jeg lever med min foreldre

I'm not arguing that they're Death Metal, but compared to say, Once Was Not it seems really melodic and thrashy rather than br00tal

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 1:37 pm 
MetalReviews Staff

I'm not arguing that they're Death Metal, but compared to say, Once Was Not it seems really melodic and thrashy rather than br00tal

I doubt anyone will argue with that, Death is more about riffs and leads rather than blast beats and grunts.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 3:25 pm 
Ist Krieg

And isn't that why bands like Cryptopsy get the label "brutal" thrown in front of just death metal?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 10:05 pm 
Banned Mallcore Kiddie

Adam wrote:

I doubt anyone will argue with that, Death is more about riffs and leads rather than blast beats and grunts.

thats probably the most accurate assessment i've read about the Death's style.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 10:59 am 

Adam wrote:

Probably why I never liked Death...expected the epitome of death metal in the more brutal vein...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 1:40 pm 
MetalReviews Staff

Back in the day, that's what Death Metal was - a direct descendant from Thrash. The likes of Possessed and Death were the ones who created Death Metal, so saying that they don't sound like Death Metal now is missing the point completely. You could just as easily say that the modern bands don't sound like Death Metal! Genres are big, wide things, not lines in the sand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 3:01 pm 
MetalReviews Staff

Adam wrote:

Probably why I never liked Death...expected the epitome of death metal in the more brutal vein...

Booooooooo

Scream Bloody Gore is brutal as anything and makes many modern day deathsters seem like puny nerds IMO.

It doesn't have that modern polish that can make you feel like you're being rolled over by a tank, but it does make you feel as if you were being bludgeoned to death by a lunatic with a rusty bit of pipe. We need more of the latter in this day and age, says I.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 8:52 pm 
The Commish

rio wrote:
Adam wrote:

Booooooooo

Scream Bloody Gore is brutal as anything and makes many modern day deathsters seem like puny nerds IMO.

It doesn't have that modern polish that can make you feel like you're being rolled over by a tank, but it does make you feel as if you were being bludgeoned to death by a lunatic with a rusty bit of pipe. We need more of the latter in this day and age, says I.

Greatest thing I have heard anybody say all day.

Thank you Rio.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 1:23 am 

rio wrote:
Adam wrote:

Booooooooo

Well my encounters with death have been the latter albums...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 4:00 am 
Banned Mallcore Kiddie

rio wrote:
Adam wrote:

Booooooooo

i love it for what it was a product of its time, but as for bands doing that sort of thing without it being for a hint of nostalgia I doubt its likely especially with production leaps these days.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 6:24 am 
Metal King

SBG is fucking awesome, it blew me away TBH as I was expecting standard, boring gory DM after reading about it, but songs like Zombie Ritual how elements to them which were already showing signs of things to come on future albums. Death metal doesn't have to always be brutal, I mean, would you consider Opeth to be shit because they put in clean passages and have a lot of melodic leads?

Brutal death is one side of DM, melodic DM (especially the Gothenburg style) is fucking awesome, especially the classic stuff that came out in the next few years after Slaughter of the Soul.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 10:36 pm 
Svartalfar

Symbolic is one of the Top 10 Metal CD's of all time for me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 10:56 pm 
Metal Lord

DevotedWalnut wrote:
stevelovesmoonspell wrote:
SoulSociety wrote:

Maybe by todays standards of death metal and thrash metal. But back then, it was death metal and nothing but.

Wasn't Arise considered a thrash metal album when it came out, though? Death IMO really isn't much more "death metally" than Sepultura was at the time.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next