Metal Reviews

Newest and Best Metal Reviews!
FAQ :: Search :: Members :: Groups :: Register
Login
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:40 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 115 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next   
 Post subject: Metallica - Master of Puppets (#2756)
PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 1:15 am 
You're welcome to comment on:
Quote:
Metallica - Master of Puppets
Heavy Metal
Quoted: CLASSIC

Click here to see the review.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 2:24 am 
Metal Lord

Great album, would like to see more thrash classics reviewed :).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 3:12 am 
Karma Whore

Completely overrated album. Its good... Not great, or anywhere near Classic. There were large amounts of thrash albums better than this in '86, possibly metal's best year.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 3:41 am 
Einherjar

Very nice review. This album definitely deserves to be a classic.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 10:07 am 
Karma Whore

it's one of the better metallica albums, if not the best. but i don't think it's a real classic.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 6:42 pm 
Einherjar

Of course it is a classic, if it isn't you are too young, or just trying to be cool dissing Metallica or something....jeez. No debate on this, ever.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 7:09 pm 
Metal Slave

Great album :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 7:38 pm 
Karma Whore

ODIN wrote:
Great album :twisted:

great? absolutely fan-fucking tastic, not great. this is an amazing album which from beginning to end has a variety of emotions and deep lyrics, breakneck tempo coupled with beautifully gracefull melodies and on top of all that absolutely kick-ass riffs with some of the best bass-lines ever to boot!
i might not be the best poster here, but saying "great album :twisted: " is just a shitty, worthless comment on one of the best thrash albums ever.

(imo :roll: )

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 7:58 pm 
Karma Whore

leee wrote:
Of course it is a classic, if it isn't you are too young, or just trying to be cool dissing Metallica or something....jeez. No debate on this, ever.

i've heard it for the first time when i was 5. you can call me young but then again i don't really care you do. i didn't say it sucked, cuz it's a great album but if this one is a classic, there are a thousand better ones!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 10:37 pm 
Einherjar

I can see why some people would want this to be a classic...but I've heard way to much thrash to have this album even enter my top 30. Very mediocre album.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 10:59 pm 
Einherjar

Holy_Terror wrote:
I can see why some people would want this to be a classic...but I've heard way to much thrash to have this album even enter my top 30. Very mediocre album.

Holy Terror disagrees with something but didn't flame!!! :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 11:01 pm 
Orion wrote:
Holy_Terror wrote:

Holy Terror disagrees with something but didn't flame!!! :shock:

growing up :roll: :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 12:49 am 
Jeg lever med min foreldre

Holy Terror, this is a METAL classic, not a THRASH classic!

so it doesn't have all/out thrash intensity... it has great riffs, melodies, totally killer solos and great lyrics.

my fav. Metallica album is KEA but the best Metallica songs (dmg inc, master, and their best ballad Sanitarium) are from this album.

old metallica totally fucking rules! you just can-t deny that. the reason why similarly influential bands that didn-t go the same way as metallica are more respected is because some people are too @elite@ to recognze the value of a band like Metallica, even though the countless covers and references by METAL bands speak volumes...

btw, any typos and shit, blame this goddamn useless american keyboard. everything-s in the wrong place, jeezs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 2:47 am 
Karma Whore

leee wrote:

Actually, there is. You see, my son, there once was a boy called Opinion. And one day Opinion said to other boys called Opinion: "Hey guys, you all really like this album, but I don't really." True story.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 2:55 am 
Einherjar

Azrael wrote:
Holy Terror, this is a METAL classic, not a THRASH classic!

so it doesn't have all/out thrash intensity... it has great riffs, melodies, totally killer solos and great lyrics.

my fav. Metallica album is KEA but the best Metallica songs (dmg inc, master, and their best ballad Sanitarium) are from this album.

old metallica totally fucking rules! you just can-t deny that. the reason why similarly influential bands that didn-t go the same way as metallica are more respected is because some people are too @elite@ to recognze the value of a band like Metallica, even though the countless covers and references by METAL bands speak volumes...

btw, any typos and shit, blame this goddamn useless american keyboard. everything-s in the wrong place, jeezs.

Exactly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 2:57 am 
Einherjar

Brahm_K wrote:
leee wrote:

Actually, there is. You see, my son, there once was a boy called Opinion. And one day Opinion said to other boys called Opinion: "Hey guys, you all really like this album, but I don't really." True story.

That boy named Opinion grew up to be old and bitter, commencing to rock on his meager porch with a shotgun on his lap, screeching at passing kids about their choice of dress. When they protested, he would shoot them.

And thus Opinion grew up to be Idealogue. And in this form do Opinions held by people for more then ten years become Ideals, and are never insulted, because everyone holds them. In the event that someone does not hold one, they are labeled worthless and ignored.

PS: Master of Puppets is not nearly as good as everyone says it is.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 4:43 am 
Brahm_K wrote:
Completely overrated album. Its good... Not great, or anywhere near Classic. There were large amounts of thrash albums better than this in '86, possibly metal's best year.

Agreed. Though, I think out of sheer name value it's a classic. But other than that it's one of the most boring outings I've heard in either thrash or classic heavy metal.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 4:54 am 
Einherjar

Maybe some of you guys don't like it because you keep wanting to make it something it is not; a straight up thrash album.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 6:43 am 
Banned Mallcore Kiddie

Overrated album.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 2:08 pm 
As with most people, Master of Puppets was the first real heavy metal album I heard. I bought it a few months after buying Load (ReLoad I didn't buy until a couple months after MOP). Believe it or not, I actually thought it sounded like a Queen record at first! After listening to it a few times, I got the gist of it and discovered how heavy and fast it was compared to the more laid back, bluesy Load. I couldn't favor it over Load, though, since both were completely different records.

Anyway, looking back on it (it's been almost two years since I last listened to it), Master of Puppets was a pretty solid album, overall. But I wouldn't call it the "greatest metal album of all time" the way so many other people do. There have been far too many metal albums released ever since that topped it in pretty much every catagory (including Metallica's own And Justice For All). For me, saying MOP is the greatest metal album of all time is a lot like saying DOOM is the greatest First Person Shooter of all time. It's basically been outdone in so many ways that you simply can't call it "the greatest" anymore.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 115 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next