Metal Reviews

Newest and Best Metal Reviews!
FAQ :: Search :: Members :: Groups :: Register
Login
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:53 am

Post subject: Styx - The Grand Illusion (#1417)
PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2004 10:55 pm 
You're welcome to comment on:
Quote:
Styx - The Grand Illusion
Progressive Rock
Quoted: 96 / 100

Click here to see the review.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 7:29 pm 
Metal Lord

How the fuck did this get a higher score than Welcome To Hell??????
It's not even metal...
V.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 7:52 pm 
valefor wrote:
It's not even metal...
V.

great album... it deseves its score, no doubt about it...

btw, V., it's not metal it's hard rock... I guess you must find this music very G A Y but it has the right to be reviewed here as Styx are sure part of the family... :evil:

and my score for Welcome to Hell would be 65/100... :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 8:17 pm 
Metal Lord

The Immortal Emokid wrote:
valefor wrote:
It's not even metal...
V.

great album... it deseves its score, no doubt about it...

btw, V., it's not metal it's hard rock... I guess you must find this music very G A Y but it has the right to be reviewed here as Styx are sure part of the family... :evil:

and my score for Welcome to Hell would be 65/100... :twisted:

Whatever. Styx is not hard rock; they are sappy, soft rock that you hear on AM radio. It is far, far away from Metal, or even hard rock.
All due respect, but 65/100 is ridiculous, and I daresay that you don't get it, either that, or you just don't like the genre, which is fine, but ...rule number one in music appreciation: try to understand what the artist is trying to convey.
I could go on all day about genres I don't like, but I don't out of respect and the knowledge I would be unfair.
V.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 8:23 pm 
V., I've seen Venom live in 1983, I have all their albums up to Calm Before the Storm so I don't nedd to be lectures on Venom's influence over the metal scene or whatever make you think this album is great... Imo, it way better than Black Metal or At War With Satan but not up to Possessed I would rate around 80/100...

so, you may find my rate ridiculous but you have to know I intentionally overrated it due to historical value... Abaddon is a lousy drummer, Cronos can't sing (you say he's evil, I say he's bad) & Mantas ain't the greatest guitarist ever... by far ! though I know how important Venom was & still is which doesn't make the music any better...

btw, Styx is Hard Rock with progressive & aor tendencies to it which is perfectly fine by me ! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 8:39 pm 
Metal Lord

V., I've seen Venom live in 1983, I have all their albums up to Calm Before the Storm so I don't nedd to be lectures on Venom's influence over the metal scene or whatever make you think this album is great... Imo, it way better than Black Metal or At War With Satan but not up to Possessed I would rate around 80/100...

so, you may find my rate ridiculous but you have to know I intentionally overrated it due to historical value... Abaddon is a lousy drummer, Cronos can't sing (you say he's evil, I say he's bad) & Mantas ain't the greatest guitarist ever... by far ! though I know how important Venom was & still is which doesn't make the music any better...

btw, Styx is Hard Rock with progressive & aor tendencies to it which is perfectly fine by me ! :D

You and I come from the same generation, so I respect your opinions (we both remember the atrocity known as disco!)... but nobody ever said that Venom are great musicians; on the contrary, they are the first to admit it. Venom are ass-kickers, not musical virtuosi.
Why are bands like Black Flag, Discharge etc. considered great (within their circles), when they barely even play music? because of the way that they epitomize the scene, with attitude and energy; and the music is actually quite catchy and hook-laden, though admittedly rough and sometimes below the surface, which is an appeal to some.
Same for Motorhead, raw, rough, dirty, sloppy as hell, but it has hooks.
I will never concede that Styx is hard rock, though...
V.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 9:01 pm 
valefor wrote:

You and I come from the same generation, so I respect your opinions (we both remember the atrocity known as disco!)... but nobody ever said that Venom are great musicians; on the contrary, they are the first to admit it. Venom are ass-kickers, not musical virtuosi.
Why are bands like Black Flag, Discharge etc. considered great (within their circles), when they barely even play music? because of the way that they epitomize the scene, with attitude and energy; and the music is actually quite catchy and hook-laden, though admittedly rough and sometimes below the surface, which is an appeal to some.
V.

well, my point wasn't to bash on Venom or "primitive" music... I enjoy bands like Discharge, Black Flag, Minor Threat, Bad Brains etc... not great musicians (with exception for Bad Brains) but indeed very influencial, essential bands for whom is interested in the punk/hXc scene... same goes with Venom for the BM scene, unfortunately their music never really worked for me with the exception of Possessed... :oops:

and Styx is ard rock for me (well, the more mainstream hard rock can be) but I conced you have the right to disagree although I still thik you're wrong ! :twisted:

and, btw, I have the original edition of Welcome to Hell's picture disc... if anybody wants it, I'll send it for the price of postage only... :D

hell, this is my gift for my 1000th post ! :D :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 9:07 pm 
Metal Lord

valefor wrote:

V.

well, my point wasn't to bash on Venom or "primitive" music... I enjoy bands like Discharge, Black Flag, Minor Threat, Bad Brains etc... not great musicians (with exception for Bad Brains) but indeed very influencial, essential bands for whom is interested in the punk/hXc scene... same goes with Venom for the BM scene, unfortunately their music never really worked for me with the exception of Possessed... :oops:

and Styx is ard rock for me (well, the more mainstream hard rock can be) but I conced you have the right to disagree although I still thik you're wrong ! :twisted:

and, btw, I have the original edition of Welcome to Hell's picture disc... if anybody wants it, I'll send it for the price of postage only... :D

hell, this is my gift for my 1000th post ! :D :wink:

Ever heard of Rudimentary Peni (great name!)?
V.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 9:12 pm 
Quote:
Rudimentary Peni

:shock: never heard of them... what is it ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 9:18 pm 
Metal Lord

Quote:
Rudimentary Peni

early 80's U.K. punk band. with deathrock tendencies...
I have been a big deathrock fan since tha early eighties, when some chick turned me on to Christian Death's Only Theater Of Pain.
V.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 9:27 pm 
valefor wrote:
Quote:
Rudimentary Peni

I have been a big deathrock fan since tha early eighties, when some chick turned me on to Christian Death's Only Theater Of Pain.
V.

couldn't find any on my usual P2P... is it worth purchasing ? I've seen they were compared to Crass (well on Amazon.com so it maybe not that accurate)... I like Crass (specially the message though)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 9:52 pm 
Metal Lord

valefor wrote:
Quote:
Rudimentary Peni

V.

couldn't find any on my usual P2P... is it worth purchasing ? I've seen they were compared to Crass (well on Amazon.com so it maybe not that accurate)... I like Crass (specially the message though)

I bought it... Death Church is the best one.
some of the early punk, especially deathrock, is very hard to find.
Bands like Voodoo Church, Superheroines, The Naked And The Dead, Blood and Roses, Flesh Eaters etc. are more kvlt than Moonblood :lol:
V.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 9:58 pm 
valefor wrote:
valefor wrote:
Quote:
Rudimentary Peni

V.

I bought it... Death Church is the best one.
some of the early punk, especially deathrock, is very hard to find.
Bands like Voodoo Church, Superheroines, The Naked And The Dead, Blood and Roses, Flesh Eaters etc. are more kvlt than Moonblood :lol:
V.

yeah, because they are kvlt for their true historical values... most of these bands have never been edited on cd or the cd edition is hard to find or really crappy or even a pirate one...
imo, Moonblood (and all of their kind) are just a bunch of kids who try to be truer than true by releasing very ltd editions and I can't see the point... either you thing you play good music and then you want as many people as possible to listen to it or you think it's crap and in that case you don't even have to bother releasing anything... to sum up, I'd say all this BM folklore a bout "trueness" is beyong my understanding... :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 11:53 am 
To say Styx is sappy soft rock is to say that you never heard their 70s albums like "Styx" or "The Grand Illusion". Those 2 albums can only be called progressive hard-rock, though The Grand Illusion has a bit of pop in the prog-pop song Come Sail Away (one of the best hit songs ever written!!!) Styx where amongst the very first american bands to use British prog in their sound, and they mixed it their hard rock influences. But I can easily understand how ppl could hate them when you think about some of the poor crap they made during the 80s... :( That music has very very little (or NOTHING) to do with the fine progressive music they made on some albums from the 70s.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 6:17 am 
Metal Lord

Tridon wrote:
To say Styx is sappy soft rock is to say that you never heard their 70s albums like "Styx" or "The Grand Illusion". Those 2 albums can only be called progressive hard-rock, though The Grand Illusion has a bit of pop in the prog-pop song Come Sail Away (one of the best hit songs ever written!!!) Styx where amongst the very first american bands to use British prog in their sound, and they mixed it their hard rock influences. But I can easily understand how ppl could hate them when you think about some of the poor crap they made during the 80s... :( That music has very very little (or NOTHING) to do with the fine progressive music they made on some albums from the 70s.

A little late in responding haha, but I thought this and their earlier stuff (yes I have heard all of it, upon release...) was soft rock when I was a child...
no fucking way this deserves a higher score than Welcome To Hell... whether you like Venom or not ( I personally cannot see how one cannot, as the riffs are downright fucking infectious), the impact of their first three albums is undeniable.
Sorry, but again I will never consider Styx as hard rock...
fuckinghell, Boston is heavier than Styx!
V.