Metal Reviews

Newest and Best Metal Reviews!
FAQ :: Search :: Members :: Groups :: Register
Login
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:09 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2005 4:50 am 
Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that Holy Terror was refering to Cirith Ungols singer (Tim Baker) if you want to call him that...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2005 12:37 pm 
Einherjar

Trooper Of Steel wrote:
Whats this, people hating "Walk"?! Walk is Pantera's anthem. When you think of Pantera, Walk is the 1st song that comes to mind. 2nd would probably be 5 Minutes Alone.
The huge Pantera fan which said that they are the heaviest and angriest...well, i dont quite agree with you there, but they were damn heavy for that type of music.
And if you wanna hear some awesome Pantera riffs, go and listen to Strength Beyond Strength from Far Beyond Driven, or Suicide Note, Part 2 from The Great Southern Trendkill.
Lots of people are knocking this band and thats fair enough. Their music wasnt everyone's cup of tea...but Pantera were with me as I grew into metal and I'll never stop listening to them.....
R.I.P Dimebag.....

Um, Walk was and is a terrible song. It drives me mad. I hate hate HATE that little half-riff that they pass off as legit. The lyrics are typical macho-man bullshit from Anselmo, and though the rythym work is... solid, it's unremarkable. Workmanlike, if you will.

5 Minutes Alone, interestingly enough, manages to be at least two minutes too long for the purpose of reaching at least 5 minutes.

Pantera's anthem should be something good, like Mouth for War, or I'm Broken, not filler like Walk.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 10:00 pm 
Metal Lord

good cd, i like it alot, Great Southern Trend kill is my favorite song "not my favorite album" by these guys. But over all Vulgar Display of Power....is a Vulgar Display of Power

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 3:55 pm 
MetalReviews Staff

Listening to Pantera now is strange what with all these metalcore bands around. My only album from them is 'Cowboys...' and although that's quite good, the songs I heard from VDOP get boring very quickly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 3:25 am 
Metal Lord

lol i started listening to VDOP again because i heard a techno remix of Fuckin Hostile. Its sounded like Rob Zombie on steroids

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 3:26 am 
Metal Lord

well rob zombie isnt really techno, my bad, the only songs ive heard by rob zombie are his remix's

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 9:58 am 
Metal King

Vulgar Display of power has too many crappy songs on it, like the aforementioned Walk and This Love.
Cowboys From Hell is a way better album than this.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 4:26 pm 
this sticks out from metalcore nowadays, however there is a slight hardcore influence, but this is an absolutely stunning record nonetheless. i did a speech on this actually, in front of a class full of rap fans in a rap-loving school.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 4:34 pm 
Ist Krieg

The only listenable Pantera is Power Metal.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 7:33 pm 
Einherjar

Flannhead wrote:
Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that Holy Terror was refering to Cirith Ungols singer (Tim Baker) if you want to call him that...

Who the fuck are you? And why are you talking about Cirith Ungol in a bad way???

Again, who the fuck are you?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 7:43 pm 
Sailor Man

You replied a little late holy terror. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 10:08 pm 
Einherjar

Still you can't bad mouth Cirith Ungol and escape my wrath!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2005 11:02 am 
Metal Fighter

WOW!!! I can't believe how much the metal reviews forum has changed since I've last been here! Users actually mention Cirith Ungol and Pantera's Power Metal album in the same thread! Hell yeah!

So here's the deal : Before Pantera turned semi-agressive harcore/metal hybrid, they released four albums that range from poser to power metal. For instance, I am the Night, is a pure heavy metal gem, where you can really listen to Dime "paint" with his guitar using an unparalleled street virtuoso style. Power Metal is where Anselmo comes in, but back then he sang in a high pitched halfordesque way, plus the title track on that album is just that : POWER METAL!!

Anyway, here's my point : Pantera is a copletely different band from "Cowboy's "forth. And while anyone may like the band they've turned into (I listen to Cowboy's from time to time), it's not heavy metal. Call it hardcore, rock, I dunno, but please don't baptise it as heavy metal! You want something in your face and metal? Listen to Ample Destruction (Jag Panzer)!

No need to reply to this, I don't want to flame the thread, just some thoughts.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 10:11 pm 
It amazes me when 10 years or so has passed and the musical landscape has changed, so many talk shit about albums that were once hailed as classics! Albums that are classics and were destined to be so from day one. Machine Head's Burn My Eyes, Life Of Agony's River Runs Red, and Pantera's Vulgar Display Of Power, to name a few.

Yes, Vulgar Display Of Power IS a metal album! Always has been, always will be. Anyone disputing that is retarded! Just because this album may or may not have come out during your formative years of musical enlightment doesn't change fact. Take 80's rock for instance, most music fans these days will trash it to death, but the fact remains that music was NEVER more fun or more diverse than when 80's rock was the "it" style. Just go as far as the Hear 'N Aid album and the song "Starz." 40 unique vocalists and musicians on that song, all from the 80's, yet music that comes out today is all the same; a million bands, one singer. But the same people that slam 80's rock or Pantera or Machine Head are the ones that say Avenged Sevenfold's new album is power metal!

Ehhh! WRONG! You can dislike music all you want, that's fine, it doesn't change fact. On Pantera's first three albums they were a rock band with an extreme metal lean, but to sit here and claim that Pantera has ever been anything but a metal band after their third album is stupid. It's flat out wrong. The bottom line is that you may not like this album, but it is a classic metal album through and through! An album that changed the face of music drastically and still stands tall to this day! Phil's a dick, sure, but he could sing like a mutherfucka back in the day, and no one can dispute Dimebag's pure talent as a musician.

This album kicks ass. Classic all the way!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 2:37 am 
Einherjar

Yesiree. This guy above me has just about summed it up, and it wins my approval.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 3:43 am 
Ist Krieg

Eyesore wrote:
Phil's a dick, sure, but he could sing like a mutherfucka back in the day, and no one can dispute Dimebag's pure talent as a musician.
Probably the most truthful thing ever said about Pantera. Ken was right that time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 6:08 pm 
Karma Whore

Pantera are fucking great.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 10:06 pm 
Einherjar

Pantera were fucking great. For one album. Which isn't this one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 10:52 pm 
Karma Whore

Naw, they were never Iron Maiden but for a bit of piss up music they're damn good. And Walk is great, it's an anthem in spit of that 'riff'.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 10:56 pm 
Karma Whore

Metalhead_Bastard wrote:
Naw, they were never Iron Maiden but for a bit of piss up music they're damn good. And Walk is great, it's an anthem in spit of that 'riff'.

I think you hit the nail on the head. Far Beyond Driven, however, is bunk.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next