Metal Reviews

Newest and Best Metal Reviews!
FAQ :: Search :: Members :: Groups :: Register
Login
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:54 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 10:55 pm 
Banned Mallcore Kiddie

pingusthegreat wrote:
Yeah i prefer Jon Oliva's era reign in Savatage more then Zach's but Stevens is a great singer, is just that even though Oliva didn't have the range like other great singers in the genre, he made up for it in pure energy, passion and emotion, just listen to When The Crowds Are Gone, man thats a great tune, the one, the only The Mountain King :twisted:

Jon Oliva has way more range than Stevens and more range than most singers and yeah he had amazing energy and emotion. Stevens was too classically trained--which made him a bit dull especially compared to Oliva.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 1:38 pm 
Metal Servant

WinterIsComing wrote:
pingusthegreat wrote:
Yeah i prefer Jon Oliva's era reign in Savatage more then Zach's but Stevens is a great singer, is just that even though Oliva didn't have the range like other great singers in the genre, he made up for it in pure energy, passion and emotion, just listen to When The Crowds Are Gone, man thats a great tune, the one, the only The Mountain King :twisted:

Jon Oliva has way more range than Stevens and more range than most singers and yeah he had amazing energy and emotion. Stevens was too classically trained--which made him a bit dull especially compared to Oliva.

Yeah i take Oliva any day over Stevens, but i still think theyre music is great in the Post Oliva era aswell.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 8:36 pm 
Einherjar

Holy_Terror wrote:
I listed off a bunch of bands that I thought were better than Metallica. All I hope to do with such posts is spread the word about bands that recieved less press due to the almight Metallica. Maybe if you listened to the bands I mentioned then you would see they werent sub-par, and maybe you'd actually like them. So maybe you should stop being so fucking narrow minded and accept that Metallica isnt the best band in the world....they certainly arent one of the best thrash bands.

And another thing, I dont try to make myself look smarter by listing bands that you've never heard of. I do it to present people with an opportunity to hear some of the great metal I've heard. It angers me when bands that I KNOW to be better, or at least on par with bands that recieve classic status. Most of those albums have no business being there.

So drop the inferiority complex and stop whining.

I have heard them, that is why I commented, if I hadn't then i wouldn't say anything. granted it was probably 16 to 20 years ago since I heard that stuff and it didn't impress me then and I am not still into it. Metallica did. I have been around awhile.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 8:38 pm 
Einherjar

Holy_Terror wrote:
Yeah but Holy Diver the album is inifinately better than Hall of the Mountain King.

Finally, something we can agree on.......carry on now sailor with your metal thrashing mad ways.......

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 3:40 am 
Karma Whore

leee wrote:
Holy_Terror wrote:
I listed off a bunch of bands that I thought were better than Metallica. All I hope to do with such posts is spread the word about bands that recieved less press due to the almight Metallica. Maybe if you listened to the bands I mentioned then you would see they werent sub-par, and maybe you'd actually like them. So maybe you should stop being so fucking narrow minded and accept that Metallica isnt the best band in the world....they certainly arent one of the best thrash bands.

And another thing, I dont try to make myself look smarter by listing bands that you've never heard of. I do it to present people with an opportunity to hear some of the great metal I've heard. It angers me when bands that I KNOW to be better, or at least on par with bands that recieve classic status. Most of those albums have no business being there.

I have heard them, that is why I commented, if I hadn't then i wouldn't say anything. granted it was probably 16 to 20 years ago since I heard that stuff and it didn't impress me then and I am not still into it. Metallica did. I have been around awhile.

so Holy Terror thinks MoP its crap, yeah you know, it is, but its still a classic, you said MoP impressed you, me too, but 10 or 9 years ago(1 year after listening to MoP) when i first listened sodom - agent orange i realized metallica wasnt all that great, so for me agent is a classic. and a good one, i maybe have not heard all of the bands H_T mentioned but some of them deserve the Classic status (Taking Over,Fistful of Metal,Violence and Force) so is hall of the mountain king regardless of good H_T thinks it is.

Every now and then people seem to be fighting about metallica when the fact is many of their albums are classics, a couple of them are quite good,and the rest is pure crap,but no one can deny the mayor impact they had.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2005 4:29 pm 
Metal Servant

The_Voice wrote:
leee wrote:
Holy_Terror wrote:

so Holy Terror thinks MoP its crap, yeah you know, it is, but its still a classic, you said MoP impressed you, me too, but 10 or 9 years ago(1 year after listening to MoP) when i first listened sodom - agent orange i realized metallica wasnt all that great, so for me agent is a classic. and a good one, i maybe have not heard all of the bands H_T mentioned but some of them deserve the Classic status (Taking Over,Fistful of Metal,Violence and Force) so is hall of the mountain king regardless of good H_T thinks it is.

Every now and then people seem to be fighting about metallica when the fact is many of their albums are classics, a couple of them are quite good,and the rest is pure crap,but no one can deny the mayor impact they had.

Yeah man you hit it right on the money, alot of ppl say that MoP suks and this and that, theyre great albums, and unfortunately Metallica will forever be linked to the sellout word, no doubt about that, couple of great albums, then crap and now theyll fade forever into the pits of metal shameness with all the crap they put out and how they turned theyre backs on the fans, the real fans, you would think that after making all that money these mofos would find something within to put out a half decent record, too bad, theyre a glitch of the past, i stopped caring about them after the Black Album :cry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 3:43 pm 
Einherjar

Fistful of Metal is not better then MoP, that is laughable. Anyways, yeah, I might agree that Agent Orange, Under the Sign of the Black Mark and some other albums I like better then MoP, but that still doesn't deny it, or thiis Savatage album their due.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 4:39 pm 
Einherjar

Unstoppable Force by Agent Steel puts MoP to shame...as does Heresy by Paradox. and both Holy Terror albums.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 5:08 pm 
Metal Lord

Holy_Terror wrote:
Unstoppable Force by Agent Steel puts MoP to shame...as does Heresy by Paradox. and both Holy Terror albums.

I have Unstoppable Force and the Holy Terrors, i dont think it's right to compare them to MoP. MoP is never meant to be a full thrash album anyway.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 8:37 pm 
Einherjar

neither is Unstoppable Force. Its power thrash...and thats exactly what I consider Master of Puppets to be...unfortunately for Metallica they're nowhere near as good as Agent Steel..past or present.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 4:48 am 
This isn't the type of thread I normally reply to as I rarely reply to anything but I'm SO SICK TO DEATH of anyone thinking Metallica was anything but a commercial PRODUCT after their one and only half-decent album ( other than the black one for totally differrent reasons) came out. M.O.P was an album that could have had twice as many songs on it if Metallica actually had any talent balls or originality; alas they lacked all three and instead made every song twice as long as they had to be. Slayer for anyone with half an ear has had infinitly more effect on all popular music, mass media sounds ( just listen to the shit they play in the background when any extreme sport is shown on even the most main-stream tv channel) and just the general "beefing up and anteing up" of what is deemed "acceptable" to the mindless masses. Are they the best of the 80's bands? Maybe not. But in my humble opinion they had more balls, stick-to-itivness, and despite the so-called "moral" right trying to ensure they never became "popular" have inspired some amazing bands to learn to actually play their fucking instruments and kick some uncompramising ass! Voivod and Sepultura are just two that I know from personal experience were inspired by the mighty Slayer to do things their way and NOT sell out like Metallicrap did as soon as some record exec. realized that if you made them sound clean and endless enough millions of mindless half-wits would give them all their money! End of rant.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:20 am 
Einherjar

This should be required metal listening. No one ever really mentioned Savatage at all to me growing up, and although I believe I've heard them in passing here and there I never really heard a lot of dudes be like " YEAH SAVATAGE ". So in short, the world needs more Savatage.

Great album. Became a huge fan of these guys recently.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 2:38 am 
Banned Mallcore Kiddie

I agree. great album from a great band.

Post subject: hey
PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:23 am 
Svartalfar

I want to recommend you several good games,maplestory~Aion~Runscape .....

Post subject: Re: hey
PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:38 am 
Karma Whore

norrow5210 wrote:
I want to recommend you several good games,maplestory~Aion~Runscape .....

I want to recommend you a nice warm cup of shut the fuck up and a plate full of go fuck off :mad:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 3:04 am 
Svartalfar

I just finally got to this album after forgetting about these guys for so long, and I absolutely love it, quickly becoming one of my favorites. So, I have a question for all of you who aren't douchebags like Holy_Terror, which Savatage album should I get next if I really like The Hall Of THe Mountain King?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 4:59 am 
Einherjar

bentrom wrote:
I just finally got to this album after forgetting about these guys for so long, and I absolutely love it, quickly becoming one of my favorites. So, I have a question for all of you who aren't douchebags like Holy_Terror, which Savatage album should I get next if I really like The Hall Of THe Mountain King?

Any album with Jon Oliva as the vocalist (maybe leave Fight For the Rock till last). They are all good. My two personal favorites are Hall of the Mountain King and Poets & Madmen.

Also try to get the EP The Dungeons Are Calling. There is re-release of it around with a ton of bonus shit and Jon rapping. :dio:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 6:59 am 
Karma Whore

bentrom wrote:

Gutter Ballet
Sirens
Dungeons Are Calling
Power Of The Night
Poets And Madmen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 7:58 am 
Einherjar

MetalStorm wrote:
bentrom wrote:

Gutter Ballet
Sirens
Dungeons Are Calling
Power Of The Night
Poets And Madmen

I second Gutter Ballet. Fucking amazing album, got me into Savatage.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 2:02 am 
Metal Servant

This album has had a major influence on my guitar playing. I was the only person in my group of friends who really loved Savatage. Most cited that they couldn't stand Jon Oliva's voice but I always found it lent more of a theatrical feel to the music which made them much more unique in a virtual sea of ridiculous 80's hair bands. This album and Gutter Ballet will always be my favorites.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next