Metal Reviews

Newest and Best Metal Reviews!
FAQ :: Search :: Members :: Groups :: Register
Login
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:24 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 9:34 am 
MetalReviews Staff

Brent@metalreviews.com wrote:
I knew you would say something more to make yourself look better than everyone else. You truly really are a loser, and it seems to me that your only way to express yourself is to make it seem that you know more about metal than anyone else here, thus giving yourself a much needed self esteem boost. So, you are right, this is the internet, where a lot of unintelligent people make asses of themselves, where no one can see their faces and you seem to be doing a great job of it. Go ahead, say what you want in the future, I shall just scroll down past your meaningless posts, and read to some halfway intelligent statements/opinions of our other readers.

Brent

Brent,

Maybe you know only half of the story, H_T replied to "that's fucking metal". If you really want to interfere with what is posted on these boards, delete "that's fucking metal"'s rasist posts in the helheim section (USA thread).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 11:37 am 
Metal Servant

About DAMM time someone reviewed classic Sava stuff, one of my all time fav bands, this is a classic, one of my fav guitar players Criss Oliva-RIP, you talk about underrated too, these guys never got the credit they deserve, so many high quality albums up and down the chain, Oliva era and Stevens era as well, now we need someone to review Streets from them, i think is theyre absolute best :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 2:47 pm 
Ehh, the only Savatage album I own is Edge Of Thorns. It's a pretty good record. Not spectacular but good nonetheless.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 3:36 pm 
MetalReviews Staff

Personally for me albums like "Sirens" and "The Dungeons Are Calling" are their best...they had an excellent guitar sound on those two, lots of chorus and meaty but clear, crisp guitar chops!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 3:38 pm 
Einherjar

You strike me as the type of person who can't develop a decent argument, so you fall back on the same tired old response...telling people who feel strongly about their opinions that they are arrogant and need self esteem boosts. I can assure you I don't need another one of those. What I do need from you is a reason to NOT consider you amateur that I think you are. You're review was poorly written, and your responses lacked a good argument and personality. I suggest you work on this.

ps... I still think the album is only mediocre.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 3:41 pm 
Einherjar

That post was for Brent. And for him being a site administrator I must say I am disappointed, I expected more.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 7:03 pm 
Hey Gast1, I am not gonna go into the whole censorship thing here, i feel strongly about censoring anyone's posts. It is childish and plain stupid to delete someone's post if they don't agree with you or anyone else. It is obvious that he does know his metal, but as for the way he responds to everything, I am not trying to stop him persay, just trying to tell him that he comes across as an asshole on 99.9% of all of the posts I have seen attributed to his name. And as for your opinion of my savatage review being written poorly, Holy_Terror, that is fine, your opinion is valid, as is everyones, but I believe it was a very good review, maybe not as long as I would have liked, but a good one nonetheless, and I have had quite a few people agree with me.

Brent

Gast1 wrote:
Brent@metalreviews.com wrote:
I knew you would say something more to make yourself look better than everyone else. You truly really are a loser, and it seems to me that your only way to express yourself is to make it seem that you know more about metal than anyone else here, thus giving yourself a much needed self esteem boost. So, you are right, this is the internet, where a lot of unintelligent people make asses of themselves, where no one can see their faces and you seem to be doing a great job of it. Go ahead, say what you want in the future, I shall just scroll down past your meaningless posts, and read to some halfway intelligent statements/opinions of our other readers.

Brent

Brent,

Maybe you know only half of the story, H_T replied to "that's fucking metal". If you really want to interfere with what is posted on these boards, delete "that's fucking metal"'s rasist posts in the helheim section (USA thread).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 7:17 pm 
Karma Whore

revives old topic in thread*
i don't question this album but it aint in my list of classics but i already knew that lot of ppl would love it and praise it up to heaven. it's a very good album and my favorite of the band, but i'm not that big of a fan.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 9:57 pm 
Einherjar

Holy Terror is the guy that said Master of Puppets wasn't a classic album and then rattled off a whole list of sub par 80's thrash to look cool and underground as better albums when anyone with half a brain knows that isn't true. I would treat his opinion of Hall of the Mountain King the same way, not worth my time to argue.

And hey Brent, you left of "Strange Wings" from your song by song which is my fave on that album.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 11:38 pm 
Einherjar

I listed off a bunch of bands that I thought were better than Metallica. All I hope to do with such posts is spread the word about bands that recieved less press due to the almight Metallica. Maybe if you listened to the bands I mentioned then you would see they werent sub-par, and maybe you'd actually like them. So maybe you should stop being so fucking narrow minded and accept that Metallica isnt the best band in the world....they certainly arent one of the best thrash bands.

And another thing, I dont try to make myself look smarter by listing bands that you've never heard of. I do it to present people with an opportunity to hear some of the great metal I've heard. It angers me when bands that I KNOW to be better, or at least on par with bands that recieve classic status. Most of those albums have no business being there.

So drop the inferiority complex and stop whining.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 12:58 am 
Karma Whore

leee wrote:
Holy Terror is the guy that said Master of Puppets wasn't a classic album and then rattled off a whole list of sub par 80's thrash to look cool and underground as better albums when anyone with half a brain knows that isn't true. I would treat his opinion of Hall of the Mountain King the same way, not worth my time to argue.

And he was right, and no doubt a good majority of those albums (I can't remember what the specific ones are, but knowing that he has good taste in thrash I don't doubt his opinion) are better than Master of Puppets.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 9:04 am 
Hall of the mountain king is a killer album i got that album back in 1989 when i was only 12 my older cousin bought it for my bday cause he knew i was getting into metal. that album opened up new doors for me at that age i was ony listening to stuff like skid row,alice cooper.metallica,megadeth,motley crue, and so on. that album has a special meaning for me so i love it but i have friends that like the later savatage stuff like dead winter dead and wake of magellan but i dont think it is as good. so it is all opinions. but for someone to say that the early stuff is crap, thats just bullshit he dosent appreciate classic metal so dont worry about it!!

His deep
Dark eyes
Keep watch on his kingdom
And the mysteries that sleeps safe inside
His hall
His towers of stone
Shall not be overthrown
For eternity
It is guarded by the king
Insanity and the power that it brings
Madness reigns
In the Hall of the Mountain King

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 9:14 am 
Metal Slave

This is great album indeed. although my favorite of savatage is streets. This album has its good songs and its bad songs, imo streets is much more balanced.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 7:07 pm 
Banned Mallcore Kiddie

metalworker wrote:
This is great album indeed. although my favorite of savatage is streets. This album has its good songs and its bad songs, imo streets is much more balanced.

This album doesn't have any bad songs

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 7:09 pm 
Banned Mallcore Kiddie

alex wrote:
Hall of the mountain king is a killer album i got that album back in 1989 when i was only 12 my older cousin bought it for my bday cause he knew i was getting into metal. that album opened up new doors for me at that age i was ony listening to stuff like skid row,alice cooper.metallica,megadeth,motley crue, and so on. that album has a special meaning for me so i love it but i have friends that like the later savatage stuff like dead winter dead and wake of magellan but i dont think it is as good. so it is all opinions. but for someone to say that the early stuff is crap, thats just bullshit he dosent appreciate classic metal so dont worry about it!!

I like all Savatage albums, but I definitely prefer their pre-Edge of Thorns sound, style and especially vocals.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 11:59 pm 
Einherjar

The Video for Hall of the Mountain king is pretty damn funny. The Treasure chest with the cassette in it is so goddamned funny.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 12:42 am 
Metal Slave

Holy_Terror wrote:
The Video for Hall of the Mountain king is pretty damn funny. The Treasure chest with the cassette in it is so goddamned funny.

Agreed. The video is almost as funny/bad as the Rainbow in the Dark video.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 1:49 pm 
Einherjar

Yeah but Holy Diver the album is inifinately better than Hall of the Mountain King.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 3:29 pm 
Einherjar

For anyone who doesn't want to read my Sava-rant: Scroll to bottom of post.

The first Savatage song I ever heard was Commissar and it was right at the time 4 years ago when I was starting to get into metal and I was in the midst of my "Oh shite! Nightwish roxorz!" stage. I loved that song so much I downloaded a few other songs, "Strange Wings", "White Witch". I don't think I was ever more turned off in my life. But for some reason 3 months later I decided to give them another chance, I mean, Commissar just kicked so much ass, this band had to at least have a few other good songs. And I was lucky enough to download "Hall of The Mountain King" and I was since hooked and for some reason after that song, even the songs I hated started to sound really really good. Savatage, to me, is an amazing band, they will always be in my top 3. I just dont understand how some people like zak's vocals more.. He always has this "Man, Im bored, lets get this track done" feel to his vocals. I still like thos albums, but Jon is the man I want to hear when I listen to Savatage.

I like Savatage.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 12:38 am 
Metal Servant

Yeah i prefer Jon Oliva's era reign in Savatage more then Zach's but Stevens is a great singer, is just that even though Oliva didn't have the range like other great singers in the genre, he made up for it in pure energy, passion and emotion, just listen to When The Crowds Are Gone, man thats a great tune, the one, the only The Mountain King :twisted:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next