Metal Reviews

Newest and Best Metal Reviews!
FAQ :: Search :: Members :: Groups :: Register
Login
It is currently Thu Sep 16, 2021 4:29 pm



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next   
Author Message
 Post subject: 'Diamond Head - Lightning to the Nations (#3149)'
PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 9:28 pm 
You're welcome to comment on:
Quote:
Image
Diamond Head - Lightning to the Nations
NWOBHM
Quoted: CLASSIC


Click here to see the review.


Top
  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 9:31 pm 
It's about time more attention was given to this great NWOBHM band... good job Mike !!! :D

have you got any more plans of classic reviews you can tell us of or will you keep it a secret like you did this time ?

anyway, that was a damn good surprise so thx again !

NP
Bright Eyes "Digital Ash in a Digital Urn"


Top
  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 9:39 pm 
Offline
Ist Krieg
User avatar

Joined: Fri Mar 18, 2005 1:24 am
Posts: 8992
Location: Husker Nation
Wow. Very informative. I don't own this album :oops: , but I will be sure to put high up on my wish list. Very nice review Mike.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 9:43 pm 
Stefan wrote:
It's about time more attention was given to this great NWOBHM band... good job Mike !!! :D

have you got any more plans of classic reviews you can tell us of or will you keep it a secret like you did this time ?

anyway, that was a damn good surprise so thx again !

NP
Bright Eyes "Digital Ash in a Digital Urn"


Thanks for the compliments! When we received DH's latest album, All Will Be Revealed, I noticed that DH was missing from this site altogether. I decided that I didn't want to post a DH review without this album being on the site as well. There are some other old school (and perhaps lesser known) bands that I want to write about too. Blitzkrieg, Raven, Angel Witch, Satan, and others are on the top of my list. I plan to get to those in time.


Top
  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 9:48 pm 
Mike @ MetalReviews wrote:
Stefan wrote:
It's about time more attention was given to this great NWOBHM band... good job Mike !!! :D

have you got any more plans of classic reviews you can tell us of or will you keep it a secret like you did this time ?

anyway, that was a damn good surprise so thx again !

NP
Bright Eyes "Digital Ash in a Digital Urn"


Thanks for the compliments! When we received DH's latest album, All Will Be Revealed, I noticed that DH was missing from this site altogether. I decided that I didn't want to post a DH review without this album being on the site as well. There are some other old school (and perhaps lesser known) bands that I want to write about too. Blitzkrieg, Raven, Angel Witch, Satan, and others are on the top of my list. I plan to get to those in time.


wOOt

that's great news !

looking forward to read those ! :D


Top
  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 9:50 pm 
Offline
Sailor Man
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2005 9:00 pm
Posts: 6179
Location: Italiae
I listened to Satan-Court In The Act and liked it, so will i like this one too?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 9:52 pm 
Dago wrote:
I listened to Satan-Court In The Act and liked it, so will i like this one too?


one question : do you like the Metallica covers of DH's songs ? if you do, make sure to get that album 'cause Metallica are no match to DH in their particular style ! 8)


Top
  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 11:50 pm 
Offline
Metal King
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2005 10:19 am
Posts: 960
Nice review. Fantastic album, a classic indeed.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 12:00 am 
Offline
MetalReviews Staff
User avatar

Joined: Fri Sep 17, 2004 10:01 am
Posts: 7711
Location: Leeds, UK
Lovely! Helpless gives me shivers :D


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 4:55 am 
Offline
Metal Lord

Joined: Mon Nov 15, 2004 2:23 am
Posts: 641
Location: Australia
Great review and great album ! I'm very fond of the song The Prince :).

Dago you might or might not like this, it's a very early NWOBHM album (1980) so it has a very retro/rock sound


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 6:15 am 
LIGHTNING TO THE NATIONS
THE PRINCE

You can totally hear early Metallica in this stuff. Not only did they cover a ton of their songs, but they virtually emulated their style, as well.


Top
  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 7:47 am 
Offline
Einherjar
User avatar

Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2006 10:01 am
Posts: 2130
Location: Here!
Metallica is important in Metal history for a lot of things, but for a lot of metal fans (me, for example) one of these things are the great groups they covered and put in the light. Blitzkrieg, Budgie, Misfits, and of course, Diamond head.
I get to all these groups thanks to metalica, and now, I listen more often to them that to metallica itself.

Diamond Head's Lightning To The Nations is a really classic, a must have for all metal fans.

Great review. Thanks.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 9:28 am 
Offline
Svartalfar

Joined: Sun Jul 24, 2005 1:13 pm
Posts: 3
Location: Melbourne
Yup, classic! And sadly my one and only NWOBHM album.

Such a powerful voice and sublime guitarwork on it. Dieing to pick up some Raven, Satan, Blitzkrieg. So much great metal!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 12:19 pm 
Offline
Ist Krieg
User avatar

Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2004 5:37 pm
Posts: 7932
Location: Glasgow
Stefan wrote:
Mike @ MetalReviews wrote:
Stefan wrote:
It's about time more attention was given to this great NWOBHM band... good job Mike !!! :D

have you got any more plans of classic reviews you can tell us of or will you keep it a secret like you did this time ?

anyway, that was a damn good surprise so thx again !

NP
Bright Eyes "Digital Ash in a Digital Urn"


Thanks for the compliments! When we received DH's latest album, All Will Be Revealed, I noticed that DH was missing from this site altogether. I decided that I didn't want to post a DH review without this album being on the site as well. There are some other old school (and perhaps lesser known) bands that I want to write about too. Blitzkrieg, Raven, Angel Witch, Satan, and others are on the top of my list. I plan to get to those in time.


wOOt

that's great news !

looking forward to read those ! :D


Hell yeahs.

Nice review, Mike. This should be considered the textbook way of doing song-by-songs.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 8:09 pm 
Offline
Karma Whore
User avatar

Joined: Tue Feb 01, 2005 12:21 am
Posts: 3538
Location: Mexico
Nice review Mike, This album kicks ass!!, looking forward to the Blitzkrieg, Angelwitch, Satan and Raven reviews.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 8:47 pm 
Yeah, Metallica's version of "Breadfan" kicks ass!


Top
  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 7:34 am 
Offline
Karma Whore
User avatar

Joined: Tue Feb 01, 2005 12:21 am
Posts: 3538
Location: Mexico
Eyesore wrote:
Yeah, Metallica's version of "Breadfan" kicks ass!


Really? IMO the original version by Budgie is way better, you may not like it though, since the vocals are very similar to Geddy lee's


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 8:27 am 
The_Voice wrote:
Eyesore wrote:
Yeah, Metallica's version of "Breadfan" kicks ass!

Really? IMO the original version by Budgie is way better, you may not like it though, since the vocals are very similar to Geddy lee's

Well, I admit, I've never heard it. Hahaha.


Top
  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 10:43 am 
Offline
Einherjar
User avatar

Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2006 10:01 am
Posts: 2130
Location: Here!
The_Voice wrote:
Eyesore wrote:
Yeah, Metallica's version of "Breadfan" kicks ass!


Really? IMO the original version by Budgie is way better, you may not like it though, since the vocals are very similar to Geddy lee's


100% agree. Budgie's Breadfan is better than Metallica's version. Budgie is a great band with vocals that remind Rush. I have to thanks Metallica for giving me the chance of discover so great bands, as I said before.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 4:22 pm 
Except for the Misfits covers.. I have always liked Metallica's versions better.. and yes I've heard the originals, which lack proper production, speed and are a bit sloppy. Hetfield, however, just couldn't top Danzig no matter what he did.


Top
  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next   


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group