Deathspell Omega vs. Blut Aus Nord
Deathspell Omega 63%  63%  [ 5 ]
Blut Aus Nord 38%  38%  [ 3 ]
I hate them both 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 8
 Post subject: Deathspell Omega vs. Blut Aus Nord
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 6:15 pm 
Karma Whore

French bm has gained quite a considerable following ever since these bands gained wider recognition. This isn't to bash the LLN scene or anything that existed around the same time, but arguably these bands had a wider impact. Anyway, which band is superior in terms of composition, riffs, and general musical ability? Does the influence of SMRC transcend early BAN's work, or has Blut Aus Nord outlasted DO.?

Post subject: Re: Deathspell Omega vs. Blut Aus Nord
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 6:55 pm 
I live with my parents!

This is a really difficult one to answer. But an album like Dialogue with the stars is such a great album amongst all French BM. However, DsO are just giants in the BM scene with their special brand of technicality and pure evil. I won't be able to answer this question as both of them are favourites.

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 7:48 pm 
MetalReviews Staff

Early BaU beats early DsO, but BaU have been stuck in a boring rut for years now for me, so currently I'd have to give it to DsO.

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 8:50 pm 
Karma Whore

I kind of agree, but the first few BAN albums are some of the best black metal albums I've ever heard. And the latter trilogy isn't two bad at certain moments. Fas ite might be slightly better than each individual album in the latter for DSO though.

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 8:56 pm 
MetalReviews Staff

In fairness, it has been a while since I've heard those early BAN (BAU? Not sure where that came from...) They're two bands that really deserve a discography relisten from me.

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 12:47 pm 
Ist Krieg

haven't listened to BAN in forever.

will go with DsO here.

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 5:05 pm 
Ist Krieg

Goat wrote:
Early BaU beats early DsO, but BaU have been stuck in a boring rut for years now for me, so currently I'd have to give it to DsO.

This was initially my thought. Then I realized I was underselling DsO. SMRC is literally the best black metal album of the last ten years. Kenose is an amazing EP. It's a fucking EP!? Here are three tracks kinda thrown out there... that will blow your fucking mind. Speaking of Eps, Chaining the Katechon is easily the best twenty minutes of black metal in 2008. I don't love Fas Ite, but another great album. And finally there is Paracletus, a true maelstrom of an album that has very few competitors in terms of quality.

BAN was good, but their peaks don't stand up to the string of consistency, which has been DsO's brand since SMRC put them on the map.

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 7:02 pm 
Ist Krieg

traptunderice wrote:
SMRC is literally the best black metal album of the last ten years

I wish I could agree with that, but no way. The Solar Fide tracks, the Prayers, Hetoimasia, and Carnal Malefactor are all incredible but the rest is quite forgettable.

Kenose is the real deal, however.

I'm picking BaN over DsO, barely, because their first two albums are that good, and Dialogue with the Stars proved they could still reach that level when not making the same album over 5 times in a row. Both are obviously quite talented though.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 2:41 pm 
Metal Servant

For me BAN is a good solid black metal band.
But DSO just blows my mind...

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 9:50 am 
Ist Krieg

Been listening to DsO a lot recently again!

so good!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 8:23 am 
Ist Krieg

The most recent BaN has widened the gap for me. Lets throw out all the same-sounding mid-period BaN recordings and lets also throw out DsO's material before Si Momentum.

BaN has Ultima Thulee, Mem Vetusta I, Work Which Transforms God, Mem II and finally Mem III. (Mystical Beast was boring)

DsO features Si Momentum, Fas, Paracletus, and a host of good eps like Kenose, Mass Grave Aesthetics, Chaining the Katechon, and Drought.

I greatly enjoyed the DsO eps, particularly Kenose and Chaining, but have never felt that one of their full-lengths worked as a cohesive whole, but instead were collections of great and mediocre moments. On the other hand, I listed 5 full lengths from Blut Aus Nord which signify complete, transcendent listening experiences.

Listen to Ultima Thulee again...reminiscent of Enslaved, Negura Bunget, and Burzum right? But it is those bands from the mid-90s or perhaps much later? Work Which Transform God should have been recorded 10 years after Mem III, but it was recorded 10 years before. BaN has managed to sound both oddly futuristic and stuck in the black metal past throughout their career, and that should make their music timeless.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 2:14 am 
I live with my parents!

After listening to Deathspell again I can surely say they win my vote.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 5:19 am 
Ist Krieg

North From Here wrote:
The most recent BaN has widened the gap for me. Lets throw out all the same-sounding mid-period BaN recordings and lets also throw out DsO's material before Si Momentum.

BaN has Ultima Thulee, Mem Vetusta I, Work Which Transforms God, Mem II and finally Mem III. (Mystical Beast was boring)

DsO features Si Momentum, Fas, Paracletus, and a host of good eps like Kenose, Mass Grave Aesthetics, Chaining the Katechon, and Drought.

I greatly enjoyed the DsO eps, particularly Kenose and Chaining, but have never felt that one of their full-lengths worked as a cohesive whole, but instead were collections of great and mediocre moments. On the other hand, I listed 5 full lengths from Blut Aus Nord which signify complete, transcendent listening experiences.

Listen to Ultima Thulee again...reminiscent of Enslaved, Negura Bunget, and Burzum right? But it is those bands from the mid-90s or perhaps much later? Work Which Transform God should have been recorded 10 years after Mem III, but it was recorded 10 years before. BaN has managed to sound both oddly futuristic and stuck in the black metal past throughout their career, and that should make their music timeless.
I think that you're probably right, but I simply enjoy DsO much more than I have ever enjoyed anything from BAN.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 6:29 am 
Karma Whore

Blut Aus Nord everytime.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 3:33 am 
Einherjar

I'm going to qualify my answer by saying DSO ranks higher in terms of complexity and inventive composition, but I personally prefer listening to BAN over Deathspell.