Metal Reviews

Newest and Best Metal Reviews!
FAQ :: Search :: Members :: Groups :: Register
Login
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:22 pm

Post subject: "2nd tier" BM bands that surpass the Norwegians
PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 1:04 pm 
Karma Whore

Being influential and releasing classic albums are all wonderful for their time period, but what are some of the latecomers who can potentially hold a candle to the originators? Giving reasons and examples what bands can rival the Norwegians or any legendary bm band, and how long have they stayed relevant in terms of creativity?

Post subject: Re: "2nd tier" BM bands that surpass the Norwegians
PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 6:45 pm 
I live with my parents!

Creativity and innovation? Deathspell-- Carrying the torch? Drudkh-- immediately come to mind.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 6:59 pm 
I live with my parents!

Add A Forest of Stars and The Ruins of Beverast to creativity. Honorable mention: Rotting Christ for creativity and passion.

Edit: Elysian Blaze (innovation), Blut Aus Nord (innovation and torch-carrier) Nagelfar (like the latter).

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 10:46 am 
MetalReviews Staff

I suppose it depends; Rotting Christ were formed a few years before Burzum, after all! But if we're speaking non-Norsk, then Sigh constantly push boundaries and often made more interesting black metal than the Norwegians, and Xasthur at its best hit similar atmospheric heights. Will have to have a think so that I don't just post my own favourites, but The Meads of Asphodel and Lugubrum pushed the genre to new realms too... Agree with all mentions in the thread so far (although need to hear more Nagelfar!)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 10:27 am 
Ist Krieg

Goat wrote:
I suppose it depends; Rotting Christ were formed a few years before Burzum, after all! But if we're speaking non-Norsk, then Sigh constantly push boundaries and often made more interesting black metal than the Norwegians, and Xasthur at its best hit similar atmospheric heights. Will have to have a think so that I don't just post my own favourites, but The Meads of Asphodel and Lugubrum pushed the genre to new realms too... Agree with all mentions in the thread so far (although need to hear more Nagelfar!)

Well sure, Sigh made more interesting black metal than...Gorgoroth :wink: I should be nice though, you mentioned Xasthur, indeed, both you and CrimsonMoon have a bunch of good suggestions.

Somewhat similar to Rotting Christ, Abigor immediately comes to mind as a contemporary who managed to make their own version of black metal, and infuse increasing technicality long before Deathspell Omega. How about Moonsorrow? I know Finland isn't that different from Norway, but their evolution from a surprisingly good Viking metal band into high quality atmospheric black metal was fun to trace.

And Negura Bunget might be getting stale now, but Om should remain on the very short list for best black metal recording this millennium. And for those who just heard Om from the hype, 'n crugu bradului was a fascinating listen in its own right.