It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:07 pm

Rotting Christ or Septic Flesh
Rotting Christ 83%  83%  [ 5 ]
Septic Flesh 17%  17%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 6
 Post subject: Rotting Christ vs Septic Flesh
PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 8:44 pm 
Ist Krieg

These two giants of Greek metal have had long careers, complete with significant style changes.

I'm not a fan of Septic Flesh's style change since they reformed after Sumerian Daemons, but Communion was fine as a one shot deal. I'm not sure if Rotting Christ have ever released a bad recording, though I admit to getting bored of them since Aeolo. I think both bands have had astounding career high points, but I'm going with Rotting Christ on sheer number of great albums as compared to SepticFlesh (About 7 for RC to 4 for SF). What is your take?

Post subject: Re: Rotting Christ vs Septic Flesh
PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 1:47 am 
Ist Krieg

I've heard both bands but have never really gotten into either completely....went with Rotting Christ from what I've heard though.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 2:12 am 
I live with my parents!

Hellenistic Metal is known for their occult/gothic/other-worldly atmosphere. Timeless melodies. An album like "A Dead Poem" and "A Fallen Temple" are filled with innovation and are highly imaginative. Septicflesh released "The Great Mass", which was in my opinion, spectacular. Rotting Christ have released "Theogonia" and "Sanctus Diavolos", which were in a league of their own and rightfully, too. Remarkable albums. I think it's a tediously close tie.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 9:47 am 
MetalReviews Staff

I'd say Rotting Christ walk this in a heartbeat, but I've not heard all of SF's early stuff. Would say RC's best outdoes SF's best that I've heard, so RC it is.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 7:26 pm 
Ist Krieg

Goat wrote:
I'd say Rotting Christ walk this in a heartbeat, but I've not heard all of SF's early stuff. Would say RC's best outdoes SF's best that I've heard, so RC it is.

Steve pushed early SF for years and so I eventually listened to it. I think the production is sometimes a drawback, but there is some very interesting, typically Greek, but uniquely SF material on A Fallen Temple/Esoptron/Ophidian Wheel.

Despite being the most well-known Greek bands and despite sounding uniquely Greek in their melodies/leads/keyboards, I also think most of the bands' material sounds quite different.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 6:28 am 
Karma Whore

Rotting Christ are the better band when you take into account their whole discography, with only Communion really coming close to the reinvention RC happened after their stale Century Media years. But I'd take the occult atmosphere, gorgeous melodic riff, and My Dying bride-influenced moments of Septic's early period over the inconsistent moments of Non Serviam and Thy Mighty contract. They're solid albums but haven't aged well, and Rotting didn't hit their stride until Triarchy if you ask me.