Metal Reviews

Newest and Best Metal Reviews!
FAQ :: Search :: Members :: Groups :: Register
Login
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:25 am

Post subject: Funeral Doom Metal
PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 9:41 pm 
I live with my parents!

I have always been in love with this genre of music and after a break I am rediscovering my love for it. Anyone else a fan of this genre of music that tends to have limited fans in general--If so, what bands do you prefer most? It doesn't necessary have to in the funeral doom genre and can be in the slower doom metal genre like Saturnus and such likes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 12:46 am 
Metal King

I can enjoy some of it, Ahab and the likes. It's not something I've invested a huge amount of time into though...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 2:33 am 
Ist Krieg

Speedyjx wrote:
I can enjoy some of it, Ahab and the likes. It's not something I've invested a huge amount of time into though...

A lot of people seem to get into Ahab, but not much else. I'm not sure why.

Define Infinity, I already saw you've been into Skepticism and Colosseum, but what about Abstract Spirit? Mournful Congregation, Monolithe, Tyranny, and countless others deserve a mention.

PM forthcoming.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 2:45 am 
Metal Lord

Funeral is an awesome band from this style of metal. Ive always had a thing for any style of doom metal.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 3:36 am 
Ist Krieg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQsOPDdm-8k

Mournful Congregation's 21 minute epic title track to "The Monad of Creation". Change it to the highest quality setting and witness one of the best tracks in doom history.

The varied vocal styles, MDB-styled melodic guitar work at half time, occasional organ appearance, and acoustic guitar moments (particularly in the last few minutes) disprove the stereotype that this genre is monotonous. In fact, if the last few minutes don't produce a powerful emotional response in your soul, you probably just don't have one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 6:19 am 
I live with my parents!

emperorblackdoom wrote:
Speedyjx wrote:

Define Infinity, I already saw you've been into Skepticism and Colosseum, but what about Abstract Spirit? Mournful Congregation, Monolithe, Tyranny, and countless others deserve a mention.

PM forthcoming.

I was going through Metal Archives today and came across bands that I had totally forgotten about like Abstract Spirit and Mournful Congregation. I cannot get into Esoteric and Evoken that much but have been a long time fan of Colosseum and recently Skepticism. I was more into Melodic Doom back in the day and slower doom metal in general like Void of Silence, Deinonychus, Forest of Shadows, Doom: vs, Saturnus, Funeral, and such likes. I also liked Empyrium very much though they are more dark folk than being anything else. I should re-listen to Evoken again and give them another try. Any other bands worth mentioning?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 9:30 am 
Einherjar

Ea is quite good although maybe a bit derivative.
If you don't mind your funeral doom mixed with some black metal then I recommend you to give Elysian Blaze and Nortt a chance.
Also definitely check out Shape of Despair, they play a more atmospheric kind of funeral doom (or even more atmospheric than it already is if you will). They've released three full lengths so far which are all little masterpieces.
Finally I would like to add Worship. You can't go wrong with a band with an album called Dooom.

I also second Mournful Congregation. They're probably one of the best funeral doom bands ever.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 12:20 pm 
Metal King

For classics, try some Thergothon or Winter.
For newcomers, Stabat Mater (project of vocalist Miko Aspa of Deathpell Omega).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 5:03 pm 
I live with my parents!

I have Shape of Despair's "Shades of" and as for Thergothon, I didn't really like them very much. I will check out more of MG. I also have Ahab's "The Call of the Wretched Sea" which I quite like. Sabat Mater sounds interesting...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 8:12 pm 
Metal King

emperorblackdoom wrote:
Speedyjx wrote:

PM forthcoming.

Colosseum are actually other I'm keen on, as is Shape of Despair.

I actually meant to review Colosseum's last album a while back...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 8:20 pm 
Ist Krieg

Speedyjx wrote:
emperorblackdoom wrote:
Speedyjx wrote:

PM forthcoming.

Colosseum are actually other I'm keen on, as is Shape of Despair.

I actually meant to review Colosseum's last album a while back...

Sorry I missed this earlier. Would appreciate that review.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 2:11 pm 
Einherjar

just recently started listening to funeral doom, it was actually a search for bands from my home country of Australia that first got me interested, I found out about Mournful Congregation and loved their sound so much I bought The Monad Of Creation and The June Frost immediately, then thanks to some recommendations on another forum I quickly added Skepticism - Lead and Aether, Ahab - Divinity Of Oceans, Catacombs - In The Depths Of R'lyeh and disEMBOWELMENT- disEMBOWELMENT to the list

actually I was hoping some of you with more knowledge of this style may be able to help me find some other good funeral doom bands so any help you can give would be greatly appreciated

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 2:40 pm 
I live with my parents!

RelentlessOblivion wrote:
just recently started listening to funeral doom, it was actually a search for bands from my home country of Australia that first got me interested, I found out about Mournful Congregation and loved their sound so much I bought The Monad Of Creation and The June Frost immediately, then thanks to some recommendations on another forum I quickly added Skepticism - Lead and Aether, Ahab - Divinity Of Oceans, Catacombs - In The Depths Of R'lyeh and disEMBOWELMENT- disEMBOWELMENT to the list

actually I was hoping some of you with more knowledge of this style may be able to help me find some other good funeral doom bands so any help you can give would be greatly appreciated

Check out Colosseum (Finland) and Esoteric (England).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 3:29 am 
Einherjar

thanks mate, any albums in particular by those bands or just see what I can dig up?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 4:20 am 
I live with my parents!

thanks mate, any albums in particular by those bands or just see what I can dig up?

Check out Esoteric's latest and Colosseum's first and second album.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 2:45 pm 
Einherjar

found a demo by the "band" Reclusiam, a funeral doom solo project of Ryan Henry, it's pretty good, you can download it for free at the website www.reclusiam.com the site also has info to contact him for what is (I think) a physical copy, check it out if you're interested

you can also find at least one of the bands songs (Litanies of Rust and Decay) on youtube

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 12:36 am 
Einherjar

Define Infinity wrote:

I second Esoteric, but not just the latest, all albums are great. Excellent band.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 4:27 am 
I live with my parents!

AlexandeR wrote:
Define Infinity wrote:

I second Esoteric, but not just the latest, all albums are great. Excellent band.

I recommended their latest because I think it's their most accessible and least difficult album to get into...

EDIT:

I agree. Phenomenal band.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 6:14 am 
Einherjar

Define Infinity wrote:
AlexandeR wrote:
Define Infinity wrote:

I recommended their latest because I think it's their most accessible and least difficult album to get into...

EDIT:

I agree. Phenomenal band.

Agreed on Paragon of Dissonance being the most accessible of their discography, because of its straightforwardness (does that word even exists? :P ).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:19 am 
Svartalfar

found a demo by the "band" Reclusiam, a funeral doom solo project of Ryan Henry, it's pretty good, you can download it for free at the website www.reclusiam.com the site also has info to contact him for what is (I think) a physical copy, check it out if you're interested

you can also find at least one of the bands songs (Litanies of Rust and Decay) on youtube

Downloaded and so far so good. Thanks.
No NTNR yet RO? :-)