Quote:
Darkthrone - Under A Funeral Moon
Black Metal
Quoted: CLASSIC

Click here to see the review.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 11:03 pm 
Einherjar

Nice review, but I thought Total Death was the Celtic Frost-shipping album?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 12:56 am 
Metal Slave

Nice review, Zad. This was, of the three, the album that got the least amount of plays from me. In fact, I can't even remember the last time I listened to it. I will definitely be digging it out and spinning it again soon though...

I would agree with a lot of your analysis here, and although I wouldn't call them "masterful" in terms of skill, there's no question they were more skilled than they showed us here. But as we know, skill of performance wasn't at all the point.

I do see it as a link between 'ABITNS' and 'TH' though. I remember thinking that about half of the songs sounded more reminiscent of the former, and the other half sounded a lot more like the latter. The variety is here, yes, but the changes they were making to their sound weren't very uniform. As such, I think the variety comes with somewhat of a lack of consistency and the album as a whole is a bit disjointed. I found some of the songs more appealing than others too so I'm not sure I can agree that there aren't any weak tracks here, but that's a fairly moot point because I still think it's a classic.

I once heard this album described as their "most sorrowful", and I always thought that was a pretty fitting description too.

EDIT - Also, I always liked how several of the songs just abruptly cut off on this one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 5:15 pm 
Karma Whore

I'll admit that this is probably my least favortie of the classic trilogy, although it's grown on me quite a bit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 5:22 pm 
haven't heard it much either. Whenever i think of Darkthrone i always start to "sing" "transilvanian hunger.. waaarghhooouuu" (cuz i can't remember more or the exact lyric) or " ... in the shadow of the horns...". Two great songs, despite the first is rather primitive.

what is " Transilvanian hunger, the mountain so cold,
Cold cold soul cold" supposed to mean anyway :lol:

of the trilogy Under the Funeral Moon has the coolest artwork, i think, closely followed by Blaze :P

I'll go listen to UTFM right away to see if i can find something i can remember well enough to "sing" later on in life. Having small phrases to sing is always k3wl when you don't have any music around.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 1:57 pm 
Ist Krieg

Truly a classic. Amazing album all around. Once I was listening to this and Transilvanian Hunger on my mp3 player, it was almost morning and I had to walk an hour to get home and it started snowing. Really that is one of the moments where I had almost popped a boner listening to music. It was an awesome experience. Try it.