Quote:
Rush - Counterparts
Hard Rock
Quoted: 86 / 100

Click here to see the review.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 12:01 am 
Einherjar

Outstanding record. The only thing I don't like about it is it's a bit too riffy on Between sun and Moon and cut to the chase. As far as Rush songs go (as far as not getting old) those two just don't keep me enthuised over the years. I also never liked Alien Shore (they borrowed the title from their friend's Platinum Blonde's first album from '86)

Animate is okay, kind of got boring after a while too.

Cold Fire, Everyday Glory and Double Agent are Rush at their best and I mean their best. LTTA is probably the best instrumental they've ever done. The spoeed of love takes a while to get but once you do, it's a very strong cut on the album. Stick it out is hated and love, I love it though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 12:22 am 
MetalReviews Staff

Adveser wrote:
Cold Fire, Everyday Glory and Double Agent are Rush at their best and I mean their best. LTTA is probably the best instrumental they've ever done. The spoeed of love takes a while to get but once you do, it's a very strong cut on the album. Stick it out is hated and love, I love it though.

Do you get the U2 sound to Everyday Glory as well? I gave Double Agent another listen based on your post there and it's far from a poor track, but like I said, the spoken word section seems tacked-on and the track's fine without it. Otherwise, agreed with this part of your post, love Stick It Out too!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 7:22 pm 
Einherjar

Goat wrote:
Adveser wrote:

Do you get the U2 sound to Everyday Glory as well? I gave Double Agent another listen based on your post there and it's far from a poor track, but like I said, the spoken word section seems tacked-on and the track's fine without it. Otherwise, agreed with this part of your post, love Stick It Out too!

The spoken word part is actuallly critical to understanding Neil's view on the lyrical subject. The lyrics don't make sense and don't work without the spoken word part. I though it made sense and worked very well for the song. Like you're getting Geddy Lee, the man's perspective, not Geddy Lee, vocalist for Rush. Listen to the last few lines of the lyric which are spoken word, without that, the song makes no point at all.

Everyday Glory has a lead line that is similar to something Big Country might have done in the 80's. U2 ripped off the Skids and Big Country to no end. Rush liked Big Country enough to go for that kind of sound on P/G, even attempting to hire their producer Steve Lillywhite.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 7:39 pm 
Einherjar

This is where I got a little bored with Rush. Don't get me wrong, this is a good album that I do listen to pretty often, but for me its definately near the back of the pack with Hold Your Fire and Test For Echo. Though fortunately it is much better than those 2 albums, I guess you could say I dont have any strong feelings one way or the other about it at all. My favorite track is easily Cold Fire, I remember when I first heard the album, it really stuck out, but it hasn't fizzled yet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 1:19 am 
Svartalfar

Hate to break it to you Zadok, but Geddy Lee's most complex basslines were on the albums Power Windows and Hold your Fire. The bass work on this album is relatively simple.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 1:35 am 
MetalReviews Staff

Sabs89 wrote:
Hate to break it to you Zadok, but Geddy Lee's most complex basslines were on the albums Power Windows and Hold your Fire. The bass work on this album is relatively simple.

Huh; not that anyone can hear any bass lines on PW or HYF, since everything's drowned in keyboards. I gave songs from both an experimental listen, and I think that we have differing interpretations of the word 'complex'. Which songs exactly are you on about?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 11:36 am 
Einherjar

I can hear the basslines on both those albums (HYF and Power Windows) and it's indeed Geedy's best work.