Quote:
Misery Index - Heirs To Thievery
Metalcore with Brutal Death elements
Quoted: 61 / 100

Click here to see the review.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:46 pm 
Ist Krieg

I just realized this site is way too critical of Misery Index. What the fuck.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 11:27 pm 
Ist Krieg

Retaliate and Discordia are awesome albums and Traitors was ok. This one however, I liked at first listen but got boring way too easily. Still, I would not have rated it this low.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 11:30 pm 
Banned Mallcore Kiddie

I disagree with the score and how this band who have always created consistent and solid brutal death, can get a lower score that two shitty tech trend hacks like Son of Aurelius and Periphery, I can understand ones lack of familiarity and even how some of the songs can run aground, but the score is a tad bit too low, especially in relation to unworthier acts scoring higher.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 11:50 pm 
MetalReviews Staff

Different writers, different opinions, brah, but I never got why this band was so good, seems very average. Not heard this one yet, I admit, so maybe they've suddenly improved, but I suspect I'll share Khelek's opinion.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 3:07 am 
MetalReviews Staff

stevelovesmoonspell wrote:
Son of Aurelius and Periphery

Who?

I didn't review those albums, but I can assure you if they have as little replay value as this one I would have rated them as low or lower.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 3:52 am 
Banned Mallcore Kiddie

Goat wrote:
Different writers, different opinions, brah, but I never got why this band was so good, seems very average. Not heard this one yet, I admit, so maybe they've suddenly improved, but I suspect I'll share Khelek's opinion.

Hmm after listening to this for a few spins already, I can understand the initial dislike, after "Traitors" and "Discordia" one may feel at least bit tired of the same sound. Though I am partial to this sort of music, I can understand the tiredness of overlong listening to this, I would have scored at least a seventy though, the drumming is as always good. Someone should do the new Defeated Sanity

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 9:53 pm 
Ist Krieg

Metalsucks said this album was kickass. Brutality and speed, ditching the pristine qualities of Traitors for their classic hardcore influences.

Not mentioning the politics of this band is a sin in itself. The beauty is not in their originality (obv.) but in their direct dissidence towards those in power.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 9:58 pm 
MetalReviews Staff

What, another site said something different? Great heavens to Betsy! I do mean to check this out, though, like I said. And what, every time a band says 'STICK IT TO THE MAN!' we have to fall over in astonishment? How do these boys do the anti-government message any differently to, ooh, Napalm Death or Master?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 3:20 am 
Einherjar

I was looking at a picture of the current line up of musicians in this band and I realized that Sparky Voyles plays guitar for these guys. Sparky is from my home town of Bowie, Maryland. He spent much of his formative musical/guitar years hanging with my friends (we were all in bands at the time) learning everything he could from us. Wow, I had no idea. It truly is one small feckin' world we live in.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 5:15 am 
Ist Krieg

Goat wrote:
How do these boys do the anti-government message any differently to, ooh, Napalm Death or Master?
Because they actually have direction rather than plain anger? And actually kick ass but that's my own distaste towards ND. It isn't so much that they do it but they do it while being awesome. I get cool music without right wing bullshit or anarcho drivel. You guys are always bitches about Misery Index for some reason so I apparently can't trust your judgment. "It's not as good as Dying Fetus; it's borderline deathcore." Duh, it's DF with more hardcore.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 10:11 am 
MetalReviews Staff

You're the one with questionable judgement if you prefer Misery Index to Napalm Death.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 2:55 pm 
MetalReviews Staff

traptunderice wrote:
Metalsucks said this album was kickass. Brutality and speed, ditching the pristine qualities of Traitors for their classic hardcore influences.

Not mentioning the politics of this band is a sin in itself. The beauty is not in their originality (obv.) but in their direct dissidence towards those in power.

Wow. Where do I even start with this?

First and foremost I don't give a FUCK what another website says. If someone else thinks this album is awesome, so be it. I don't and I'm the one writing the review.

Second, how many metal bands DON'T directly challenge authority in one form or another? I would say far less than half. Some do it better than this band, some do it worse. Misery Index's lyrics are pretty good, I'll give them that, and I probably should have mentioned it. However at the end of the day I want to hear good music and that's my primary focus. I am not just some MI hater; I really like Retaliate and still listen to it. The main reason for the low score is that this band has proven time and again how much skill they possess (both in songwriting and technical ability), and an album this forgettable is simply a misuse of that talent.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 9:40 pm 
Ist Krieg

khelek@metalreviews.com wrote:
First and foremost I don't give a FUCK what another website says. If someone else thinks this album is awesome, so be it. I don't and I'm the one writing the review.
I don't understand why you became butthurt by me mentioning a different site but whatever. It's not the fact that someone else reviewed it or even disagrees with you; it's that it contradicts what you're saying. It doesn't matter whether it's from a forum user or another site, did this album improve on Traitors or is there review bunk?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 12:48 am 
MetalReviews Staff

traptunderice wrote:
I don't understand why you became butthurt by me mentioning a different site but whatever. It's not the fact that someone else reviewed it or even disagrees with you; it's that it contradicts what you're saying.

:unsure:

Sense has not been made.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 1:00 am 
MetalReviews Staff

Quote:
is there review bunk?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 1:07 am 
Ist Krieg

khelek@metalreviews.com wrote:
traptunderice wrote:
I don't understand why you became butthurt by me mentioning a different site but whatever. It's not the fact that someone else reviewed it or even disagrees with you(If someone else thinks this album is awesome, so be it. I don't and I'm the one writing the review.); it's that it contradicts what you're saying.

:unsure:

Sense has not been made.
Is this "accessibility" you see in the album a jump for the mainstream or an incorporation of hardcore influences? I was just bringing up a challenge to your presentation of this album.

You say the band lacks "thought" and "emotion" what is that if not in the lyrical subject matter and the message of the music? There form of extreme metal is the same as it's been for the last two albums I don't get what's changed.

Last edited by traptunderice on Thu Jun 24, 2010 1:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 1:08 am 
Ist Krieg

Goat wrote:
Quote:
is there review bunk?

[img]douchebag-y%20image[/img]
THEIR. My fucking bad and bunk: 1. (slang) Bunkum; senseless talk, nonsense.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 1:09 am 
MetalReviews Staff

I know, meng, just joshing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 1:11 am 
Ist Krieg

Goat wrote:
I know, meng, just joshing.
The picture of that baby is infuriating; I want to punch it or something.