Metal Reviews

Newest and Best Metal Reviews!
FAQ :: Search :: Members :: Groups :: Register
Login
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:26 pm

Post subject: Cryptopsy - And Then You\'ll Beg (#311)
PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2004 7:28 pm 
You're welcome to comment on:
Quote:
[img]http://www.metalreviews.com/reviews/img/cryptopsy%20-%20and%20then%20you\'ll%20beg.jpg[/img]
Cryptopsy - And Then You\'ll Beg
Brutal Grind Death
Quoted: 40 / 100

Click here to see the review.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2004 8:14 pm 
MetalReviews Staff

Why the fuck is this suddenly here in the reviews department? it ain't a new review...

Anyways, this is not only the a short review with a rediculous score, it is THE worst review I have EVER read, and I've read Jay's (correct me if I'm wrong) review on Impaled's The Dead Shall Dead Remain.

Anyways, this is a very good and original album at least, with everything from Jazz influences to a didgeridoo! Most of Danny's reviews have extreme scores and short reviews, but that's not really a problem. In my humble opinion, you had better remove those two forementioned reviews because they are more or less a shame to this site, people might get the wrong impression about albums like these too. To be one step ahead, I not only disagree with the scores (I know they are opinions), but the reviews just show that you guys are not into the genre, and know noting relevant to tell except the usual "This sounds like all three other brutal death metal albums I own, so it's totally unoriginal and bad". A reviewer should always try to know more than the readers, and a good review informs readers unknown to the band AND adds information that readers that already do know the band (but not the album) find useful. If you cannot reach demands like this, then just stop writing reviews in these genres, because Í suppose you want to be takes seriously, and if not, this site wants...

This is not a personal attack, just criticism...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2004 8:29 pm 
It was posted because Aaron is going to do his own mini-review of it, so we sent it to the board so he can review it on here.

Jay didn't do that Impaled CD, that was before Jay even wrote here. Danny did that one as well.

You also have to keep in mind that was reviewed when was pretty much just Danny and Chris doing reviews. So you had a lot of those, and all the reviews back then, even good one's, were ultra short and said almost nothing about the CD in either situation.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2004 10:18 pm 
Einherjar

Cryptopsy is the sort of band that comes along once a generation. They are the sort of band that transcends their boundaries, that goes beyond what most would consider 'enough.' With a band like Cryptopsy, you can only expect everything they can do, every time.

Though after the None So Vile album vocalist Lord Worm walked (supposedly to become a teacher, or a sewage worker. I've heard both of those) away from the band, leaving them in a very awkward position. Essentially, Lord Worm was/is (he has since rejoined the band, and they're gearing up for a US tour) one of the top eight vocalists in death metal. His voice was a mix of the vile vomit/whispery style of David Vincent and the high raspy nigh-black-metal voice of later Chuck Schuldiner: essentially he sounds almost entirely inhuman, and that's an excellent thing in a death metal vocalist. His lyrics, too, were statements in irony and nihilistic attitude. The perfect death metal frontman? Almost.

The guy who replaced him... Mike DiSalvo. Okay, first thing: His vocals sound like a hardcore vocalist doing a piss-poor imitation of Lord Worm. This isn't entirely bad, but if you hate hardcore vocals, you'll be hardpressed to look past them on this album. If it's any comfort, the lyrics are loads better then the ones on Whisper Supremacy, ...And Then It Passes being a prime example.

The music? It's a sonic hell, a living roiling nightmare of coils and turns and twists and inhuman harpy shrieks mixed with the constant, droning roar of a million swarming bullet ants and the all-pervasive tiny explosions of thousands of machine gun bullets impacting concrete all at once. Simply enough, this isn't brutal music, this IS brutal. Pure brutal. The only real respite is at the very, very beginning, when a sound sample from The Matrix provides a fitting entryway into this chaos realm. Well, that and the digeridu parts near the end that make no sense.

In terms of riffs, this album is all over the place with what feels like 7000 riffs in all, changing notes and chords at impossible speeds with the bass just keeping pace, throwing in fun jazzy/funkish slaps here and there before immediately jumping back to follow the blazing, screaming guitars that are also playing odd jazzy riffs and slayeresque guitar harmonies that last maybe half a second before they jump back into the brutal death mindset. The drums are mindbendingly fast and accurate: Flo has to be the fastest drummer around. Not the best, but certainly the fastest. Always in perfect control, he's all over the place all the time. Never does he slip up.

The songwriting is subtle and brilliant, requiring listen after listen to really 'sink in.' Eventually, you can wrap your mind around every little crack and nudge of the war machine that is this album and feel it flowing through you like napalm filled with glass shards. Every second of this too-short album is a ride through a tornado, and a brutal death fan will love every minute.

Killing Songs: ...And Then It Passes, We Bleed, Voice of Unreason, My Prodigal Sun, Back to the Worms, Equivalent Equilibrium.

Quote: 94 / 100.

NOTE: This is not overpraised. It kills.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2004 1:06 am 
Metal King

Almost every single review I have read thought that None So Vile was better than this one. Do you disagree, or do you think that NSV is even better?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2004 1:19 am 
Einherjar

December Flower wrote:
Almost every single review I have read thought that None So Vile was better than this one. Do you disagree, or do you think that NSV is even better?

I think None So Vile should be a classic.

I think None So Vile was the best album they did with Lord Worm, and And Then You'll Beg was the best album they did with Mike DiSalvo.

They're seperate but nearly equal entities. Overall, I prefer None So Vile, though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2004 11:56 am 
MetalReviews Staff

I suggest just changing the old review with the new one, this review by dead machine is very good and fun to read...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 11:18 pm 
Metal Slave

yeah why is this a forum now for thsi album, its been a long timwe right? well anyway this album deserves liek an 85/100 its a stupid review, cuz thsi album is awsoem

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 2:16 am 
MetalReviews Staff

I like this album a lot. I don't get a hardcore vibe from DiSalvo's vocals, but that's just me. It tickles me so much every time there's a pause for one of those little strums at the end of a phrase (though that's true for all of Cryptopsy's stuff).

Post subject: Ain't that bad
PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 4:25 am 
Metal Fighter

This review sucks, brutality kicks ass, this is a Quebec band, and as a Quebequer and someone who likes good metal, I'm fucking proud of them.

Post subject: Re: Ain't that bad
PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 1:44 pm 
Sailor Man

Wsx26 wrote:
This review sucks, brutality kicks ass, this is a Quebec band, and as a Quebequer and someone who likes good metal, I'm fucking proud of them.

Canadian Death Metal ist Krieg

Post subject: Re: Ain't that bad
PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 2:05 pm 
Karma Whore

Dago wrote:
Wsx26 wrote:

Canadian Death Metal ist Krieg

Stealing my quote to impress the newcomer eh, Dago?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 5:49 am 
Metal Slave

This album is fucking awesome, What kind of Bullshit review is this..It sounds like you dont like the genre at all..

80/100 for sure.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 8:51 am 
Sailor Man

DanielSan wrote:
This album is fucking awesome, What kind of Bullshit review is this..It sounds like you dont like the genre at all..

80/100 for sure.

It's more like, he doesn't know what he's talking about.