PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 7:09 am 
MetalReviews Staff

You're welcome to comment on:
Quote:
Dordeduh - Har
Progressive Black Metal
Quoted: 90 / 100

Click here to see the review.

Post subject: Re: Dordeduh - Har (#10632)
PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 7:28 pm 
Ist Krieg

Probably my album of the year thus far. I think you did well to highlight the sometimes catchy elements like on the brilliant Descant that are a long way away from Negura Bunget's pre-Om period . I imagine their almost entirely clean sung sideproject Sunset in the 12th House has made it easier for them to keep some black metal in their main project. For me the great skill of Hupogammos (Edmond Karban) and Sol Faur (Christian Popescu) stretching back nearly 20 years now to their introduction of traditional Romanian instruments on Negura Bunget's n crugu bradului is how seamlessly they combined them with a black metal base. For example, the tulnic's horn call and interplay with the dulcimer and xylophone announcing the start of a track like Inarborat's riffrest is burned into my mind. Sure some of their ambient interludes I could have done without over the years (album for me ends with De Neam Vergur, not what follows), but they've made a career of prog without wankery, black metal without restriction, folk without feebleness.

Post subject: Re: Dordeduh - Har (#10632)
PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 8:09 pm 
MetalReviews Staff

Thank you! Album of the year material here, too. I do love the traditional Romanian instruments too, but am less sure of myself in referring to them in the context of a review, so I erred on the side of caution. Fantastic band, without a doubt. "Prog without wankery, black metal without restriction, folk without feebleness" is a good summary.